Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hella H4 headlight upgrade

Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hella H4 headlight upgrade

I just bought the hella h4 7" lights. When I went to install them I noticed they don't seem to be as thick as the stock jk headlight. What are you guys who have swaped out to h4 lights doing about the slop? Is there some sort of adapter you can buy?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKAdam
I just bought the hella h4 7" lights. When I went to install them I noticed they don't seem to be as thick as the stock jk headlight. What are you guys who have swaped out to h4 lights doing about the slop? Is there some sort of adapter you can buy?
What do you mean "slop"?
They fit just fine with the same retaining ring as the stock light uses.
They don't fit as snugly as a Cibie, Truck-Lite, or JW Speaker, but the ring snugs up the gap and it won't move afterward.

I did some testing with a set just last night. Both with Delta blue "xenon" bulbs and with Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs.
The Xtremes rocked mightily.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were yours the hella h4's? Mine have a good 1/8" gap or better between the headlight and the ring.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
What do you mean "slop"?
They fit just fine with the same retaining ring as the stock light uses.
They don't fit as snugly as a Cibie, Truck-Lite, or JW Speaker, but the ring snugs up the gap and it won't move afterward.

I did some testing with a set just last night. Both with Delta blue "xenon" bulbs and with Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs.
The Xtremes rocked mightily.
Hilldweller, I can't decide between cibie e-codes, z-beams and the Hellas. I am definitely going with Phillips extreme bulbs hopefully because they will last longer. Big price difference between z-beams and the rest. I believe z-beams to be the best but don't know if it's worth the price difference. How much difference between e-codes that D'S has and his z-beams. Will I notice a big improvement with the Hellas or should I just go with cibies and which ones! Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Hella H4 headlight upgrade