Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help! jeep randomly turning itself off!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! jeep randomly turning itself off!

I had noticed the last couple times i had gotten in my jeep the clock seems to have reset itself sometime from when i last left it, but today while driving home my traction control was flashing at me (changed tire size and havent gotten my procal to change it in computer yet) and then about .5 miles later my jeep just shut off, i couldnt turn the flashers on, my odometer wasnt showing and when i tried to turn the key nothing happened, nothing was turning over.

i was sitting in the middle of the highway with no flashers and no way of getting my car started. just about the time i almost got rear ended (a whole 3 mins later) the jeep computer turned itself back on and i started it just fine, no issues and drove off. any ideas what is causing this?

also with the traction control it seems to have times where when you start the jeep it goes off without the jeep even being in gear or moving, i thought that was odd, but when you turn the jeep off and back on it seems normal.

also each time before jeep has shut itself off (or reset clock) i havent been able to get the computer to respond to turning cruise control on or off (almost like the computer has frozen) and the light stays lit, thankfully i can turn cruise control off with the breaks.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Check the battery connections. Could be ground or even a bad battery. Also check the alternator.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D&KJK
Check the battery connections. Could be ground or even a bad battery. Also check the alternator.
Checked all connections and disconnected winch to see if that helps. Nothing was loose and no wires were damaged in anyway.

Just seems weird that it randomly died, couldn't turn flashers on and then 3 min later starts like there was never an issue

Quick Reply: Help! jeep randomly turning itself off!