Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

help with setting up a blue sea system fuse block

Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkelly311
#1. Yes, you should use a circuit breaker. The size depends on the total amount of amps you will be drawing from the battery to the fuse block. Add up the amps from the accessories that will be connected and go with a breaker that is just above your total amperage. The 6 Circuit BlueSea block is rated to 130 amps, DO NOT EXCEED THIS!!!

#2. Yes, you should always use a relay when the accessory draws more than 5 amps and/or you're routing through the firewall to a switch. This way, the load to power the accessory goes directly to the accessory bypassing the switch, which only needs about 2-3 amps to trigger the relay and illuminate the light on the switch. The switch will get it's power from the 12 v+ (ACC ON) power source, use a 3 amp fuse for this power source to the switch.

I just wired in my own BlueSea 6 Circuit w/ground buss and I have a 100amp Bussmann circuit breaker inline from the battery. Besides preventing a fire, it also gives you a master on/off switch for your accessory fuse block. the 6 Circuit BlueSea block is rated to 130 amps, DO NOT EXCEED THIS!!! the 4 ga wire from the battery to the BlueSea maybe a little much unless you're mounting the BlueSea in the trunk. For just the foot or two to get from the battery to the BlueSea (w/in-line circuit breaker), you really just need 8 ga wire. distance and amperage are what determine wire size, for the short distance, 8 ga will safely carry 100 amps with no problem. Too big of wire and you could overload the BlueSea, too small and you risk overloading the wire. the12volt.com has a ton of helpful information that is easily digestible regarding wire size/fuse calculation and how to properly use a relay.
edit: I should also mention that I didn't run the load wire for the compressor through the BlueSea block, instead, I used a 30 amp self-resetting breaker directly off of the 100 amp circuit breaker. figured I'd keep them separate since there's a chance I'd need all of my lights on while running the compressor. Plus, allows for more expansion off of the BlueSea.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by augichef
My block is hooked up with a breaker on the positive wire in case of an overload or you can hook up a inline fuse.. My otrattw switches are bright enough to remember to turn them off, hehe. I don't have a relay for just my leds on the switches themselves.

Attachment 562258

Good luck
Augi
How did you attach the fuse block and breaker to the fuse block lid? Seems like screws would interfere with the fuses underneath it.

Quick Reply: help with setting up a blue sea system fuse block