Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HELP!!! Stuffing of wires for lockpick behind mygig with iphone cable... NIGHTMARE..

Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!!! Stuffing of wires for lockpick behind mygig with iphone cable... NIGHTMARE..

Ok

I installed the lockpick about 3 weeks ago. I also have a iphone cable that connects to the back to the mygig. As you all know there is REALLY limited room behind the mygig. I had a HELL of a time trying to get all the wires and the large plastic connectors to fit behind there allowing me to get the mygig back in and flush...

Well that lasted for about 3 weeks.

A week ago i noticed my iphone cable would now only play music out of one side of the jeep, the other was totally silent. Since eveything else worked fine, it was obviously the connections. Terrified i pulled off the dash this weekend and fixed it but it took me nearly 2 hours to get the cords back in place and the radio back in. Many times I noticed (since i decided to play the iphone while doing this) that in sliding the radio back in the one sided sounds would happen again. It took alot of trial and error to get it in and now it works great.

On the down side, my backup camera now does not work....

@#$#%@%#@%#

So now im gonna have to go at this again and try to find a way to keep this stuff all compact and not have even a little of it able to partially d/c so none of this crap happens again. When you offroad, this is a major high order since the bumps just jiggle the shit outta everything..

Does ANYONE have any advice or ideas... i dont want to do this all over again to have ti simply happen in another 3 weeks.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I did is feed my lockpick video cable harness and iPod cable connectors behind the brace on the passenger side of the radio cubby. While those were tucked away neatly the O.E.M cables had juuust enough room to fit behind the brace on the driver's side of the cubby. The lockpich harness was then folded and half tucked in behind driver's side and then run across the back out the passenger side. it is soooo important to check for sharp edges on that brace as it has potential to ground stuff out from chafing.

Now if my backup camera would only stop picking up the Infa red feedback off the spare tire rim I would be good to go.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

good points.

I might have to take the whole thing out and tape it all up..

I did something similar to what you did. The only problem came with the extra addition of the iphone cable which just decreases the room even more..
Ugh.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmacJK
good points.

I might have to take the whole thing out and tape it all up..

I did something similar to what you did. The only problem came with the extra addition of the iphone cable which just decreases the room even more..
Ugh.
or try the mini zip ties and tape.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

MyGig, iphone cable, lockpick, two camera's, RCA outs (for recording), all fit. No real problem with planning. All the lockpick additions fit to the right (passenger side) of the MyGig. Keep minimal wiring behind the actual HU. Some of the OEM cabling needs to be worked to the left of the mounting slot for the HU. I have enough cable for the iPhone to run into the lower compartment in the center console so the iPhone is tucked away. Only catch was the connectors for the VES as all connections need to be made before the HU is "nested" and locked down. There is actually tons of room to the left and in front of and below the glove box. Lockpick is mounted inside the glovebox cavity (to the left near the blower duct). I do pad or place plastic protection over any bare metal surfaces the cabling may contact. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Stuffing of wires for lockpick behind mygig with iphone cable... NIGHTMARE..