Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID Conversion Kit - fuses keep blowing

Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HID Conversion Kit - fuses keep blowing

I recently installed a HID conversion kit in my 07 JK. Initially, I had an issue with the new light pattern caused by the HID bulbs, but I worked that out to my satisfaction. Now, I'm having trouble with the kit fuses blowing. I was on my way home Saturday night at 10:00 when my headlights went out spontaneously. I had been on the road for at least 15 minutes when it happened. Just a while ago, I checked and realized both of the conversion kit fuses had blown. I thought it was odd that they failed simultaneously. The kit has two 15A fuses between the hot leg of the battery and the hi/lo beam controller, one for each leg of the circuit. I searched for a troubleshooting guide, and found some suggestions on eBay. It said to upgrade the stock 15A fuse to a 30A fuse, but I'm almost certain it was talking about the JK fuse for the headlights, and not the two 15A kit fuses. Still, before I even read that I tried installing a 20A fuse, a 25A fuse, and a 30 fuse in the kit. The 20A and 25A fuses both failed, but the 30A fuse worked fine. I'm just worried about leaving a 30A fuse in the circuit for fear of causing an electrical fire. The last thing I want to do is melt some of the wires on the kit. I emailed the guy I bought the kit from, but I thought I would also try to get some feedback on here. I'm sure someone else has run into this problem as well. Anyone have experience with this. Thanks in advance...
Old 07-06-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Mine came with 30 amp fuses! 15 amp it too low..

The high low circuit is a 15 amp. (all this does is run the relay for high low beam)

The Battery 12+ for the HID ballasts is 30 amp..(this is the power for the bulbs)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidmech21
I recently installed a HID conversion kit in my 07 JK. Initially, I had an issue with the new light pattern caused by the HID bulbs, but I worked that out to my satisfaction. Now, I'm having trouble with the kit fuses blowing. I was on my way home Saturday night at 10:00 when my headlights went out spontaneously. I had been on the road for at least 15 minutes when it happened. Just a while ago, I checked and realized both of the conversion kit fuses had blown. I thought it was odd that they failed simultaneously. The kit has two 15A fuses between the hot leg of the battery and the hi/lo beam controller, one for each leg of the circuit. I searched for a troubleshooting guide, and found some suggestions on eBay. It said to upgrade the stock 15A fuse to a 30A fuse, but I'm almost certain it was talking about the JK fuse for the headlights, and not the two 15A kit fuses. Still, before I even read that I tried installing a 20A fuse, a 25A fuse, and a 30 fuse in the kit. The 20A and 25A fuses both failed, but the 30A fuse worked fine. I'm just worried about leaving a 30A fuse in the circuit for fear of causing an electrical fire. The last thing I want to do is melt some of the wires on the kit. I emailed the guy I bought the kit from, but I thought I would also try to get some feedback on here. I'm sure someone else has run into this problem as well. Anyone have experience with this. Thanks in advance...
what kit did you get?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a 6000K bi-xenon conversion. It included a hi/lo beam controller, two igniter ballasts, and two 6000K lamps. I bought it on ebay. It was $99.99 for the kit and $34.99 for shipping.

Placing 30A fuses in place of the 15A fuses didn't work. The lights came on and stayed on, even after the ignition was turned off, and I couldn't switch from hi to low. I think something must have happened to the hi/lo controller. I spoke with the guy who sold it to me. It is covered by a two year warranty, so I'm about to send it back for an exchange.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by davidmech21
Just info, the JK has breakers not fuses for the headlights. As far as the ebay conversion kits, you get what you pay for. Hope it works out for you.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Got mine for 88 bucks and 30 shipping.
Once I found the fix for the CANBus bypass they have worked flawless. I am very happy!

Note: This is my 4th auto I have converted over to HID's

1. 96' Mustang GT High, Low separate projector beams and driving light HID's
2. 00" Mustang Headlights low only and center mounted Mach One grill style driving lights
3. 96' Jeep Wrangler low only
4. 08' Rubicon Unlimited Bi-Xenon headlights and Fogs

All purchased from Ebay and not one has failed. So yep you are right YOU get what YOU pay for..

With Ebay its simple just research the feedback. They must be a longtime member and 98.5% feedback or better or I wont buy from them.

Last edited by whpony96; 07-08-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

The eBay seller I purchased from had a 4,509 feedback rating, with 98.6% positive. I knew there would be some risk involved in buying one of these kits. I read plenty of horror stories by other people who had similar problems. Still, I've already talked to the seller, and he asked me to send the kit in for a replacement. His customer service has been satisfactory thus far. Two things that lead me to purchase from this seller were that he's located in the US (versus overseas) and he offered a two year warranty on his kits. The ad also said his faliure rate was less than 0.3%, but we all know how that goes. I can't be too upset with the kit failing. For all I know I may have done something to cause it. It worked fine for about three weeks, then all of a sudden it failed without warning. I may have put the ballasts in a bad place, or routed the wire or controller through a bad location. Who knows? Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and return these and get a new kit. Maybe I'll have better luck with the next one. I think before I install it, I'm going to completely wrap the wires with a heavy layer of electrical tape. Maybe that will help.

WHPONY96, what is the CANBus bypass you're talking about? Is that something that has to be done for Canadian vehicles?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just got my kit in the mail. Mine shipped out with a wire for the can bus...installed in 15 minutes works great
Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

whose the ebay seller? I want one too.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

hidgate(1776)
Good communication as well. Be sure you're paypal payment has your car model and year.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion Kit - fuses keep blowing