Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID Headlights

Old 10-19-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlights

OK- I really want to do the hid conversion. I know I need to order the H13 for the headlight and 9145 for the fog light. However, other than that I dont know what to do. I have heard the 9145 is super-easy, you dont ever use the ballast and it just plugs in. I am fairly handy, but I guess I just dont know lights. What is a canbus??? Does anyone have a step-by-step link or something? I want to order them tonight. How about just a list of everything I will need to get it done? I can hit Ebay right now, what do I need besides the bulbs? Also, is this something I can do for under $150 total?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
OK- I really want to do the hid conversion. I know I need to order the H13 for the headlight and 9145 for the fog light. However, other than that I dont know what to do. I have heard the 9145 is super-easy, you dont ever use the ballast and it just plugs in. I am fairly handy, but I guess I just dont know lights. What is a canbus??? Does anyone have a step-by-step link or something? I want to order them tonight. How about just a list of everything I will need to get it done? I can hit Ebay right now, what do I need besides the bulbs? Also, is this something I can do for under $150 total?
With the limited knowledge I have and yes its limited, but for a true HID kit you have the bulbs and the converter. The converter jumps the bulb and starts it and then it save energey. So to run the bulbs you need the converter, so you need the full kit.

The kits genreally run around 350 + per set and replacement bulbs can run 100+. Hope this helps a little.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help...I have to ask though. I have found the 9145's for 50-60 bucks, and new H13's for $39. So, unless this converter is over 250, I just don't see how this could be $350. I have have done an HID conversion once before on a Lexus SC300 and it was WAY under $300 to do. Can anyone post the exact company and part # of everything (bulbs, converter, wiring) that you bought to do it. Any install pics and help would be appreciated, and any opinions on with brands are the best would be great. I have look @ a few other threads and most of them seem more complicated that a suspension lift. It cant be that hard...someone please help. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
Thanks for the help...I have to ask though. I have found the 9145's for 50-60 bucks, and new H13's for $39. So, unless this converter is over 250, I just don't see how this could be $350. I have have done an HID conversion once before on a Lexus SC300 and it was WAY under $300 to do. Can anyone post the exact company and part # of everything (bulbs, converter, wiring) that you bought to do it. Any install pics and help would be appreciated, and any opinions on with brands are the best would be great. I have look @ a few other threads and most of them seem more complicated that a suspension lift. It cant be that hard...someone please help. Thanks.
Are sure your talking true HID, the cool blue and blue tint bulbs that simulate HID are cheap around that price but they are not true HID. As for the kits there are some on sale, but again your looking at 200 plus and I dont think that include thes bulbs. Google true HID conversion kits and youll see.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Junkie

Regular bulb on left / HID on Right
HID bulbs are simply designed using a different technology to produce the light. Instead of a fine piece of wire filament, the light comes from a glass chamber of gas with no filament. Thus, road bumps and shock cannot damage the lamp.

the converters....
Old 10-19-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok...thanks for input everyone. I have checked it out more now and understand it. There are a few mods I would rather do to my Jeep for the $$$ (snorkel.) Can someone post a pic of there "cheap" blue HID imitators. If I can get the HID look for cheap I would love to. I dont have any qualms about that so lets see a pic.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SGT. EVIL

Regular bulb on left / HID on Right
HID bulbs are simply designed using a different technology to produce the light. Instead of a fine piece of wire filament, the light comes from a glass chamber of gas with no filament. Thus, road bumps and shock cannot damage the lamp.

the converters....
LOL. They call the converters "ballasts". You can get those done fairly cheap and they work really well. I spent the entire weekend in Utah, leaving before sunup and coming to camp way past dark. Never got "brighted" by anybody on the two lane mtn roads. The HID's are mean when they are installed right. I LOVE them... Huge light.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you install a HID kit in a halogen housing, you still wont have HID quality.

you need HID bulbs in an HID housing to truely see the light.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Leave Town
LOL. They call the converters "ballasts". You can get those done fairly cheap and they work really well. I spent the entire weekend in Utah, leaving before sunup and coming to camp way past dark. Never got "brighted" by anybody on the two lane mtn roads. The HID's are mean when they are installed right. I LOVE them... Huge light.
As I stated in the first post I didnt know much, just enough to be dangerous....

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
if you install a HID kit in a halogen housing, you still wont have HID quality.

you need HID bulbs in an HID housing to truely see the light.
True.....
Old 10-19-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Sgt. Evil, I'm assuming that you have HID's on your Jeep. What kind did you get and how hard was it to install? I want put HID's on mine but I don't want to mess anything up. Do you have a list of all the parts needed? what about that HID flicker that I keep hearing about?
[
QUOTE=SGT. EVIL;745265]

As I stated in the first post I didnt know much, just enough to be dangerous....

True.....[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: HID Headlights