Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID kit opinion.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit opinion.

Been reading up on here and got the "bug" to attempt to convert the JK to HID's. Was thinking about the 6000k $159.99 system:
hidoutlet.ca/hid_system_js.htm
Any opinions on it?
Anyone done a writeup on installing an HID system?
Thanks all!!

Last edited by officer_vince; 02-06-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

I have had the same “bug” but every time I go to buy them I read some reason that they will not work or they will not have a pattern and blind oncoming cars
Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by officer_vince
Been reading up on here and got the "bug" to attempt to convert the JK to HID's. Was thinking about the 6000k $159.99 system:
http://www.hidoutlet.ca/hid_system_js.htm
Any opinions on it?
Anyone done a writeup on installing an HID system?
Thanks all!!

You should edit you post to the site, as forum rules state no direct links to nonsponsor vendors....just take out the "http://www." part and it will be fine....I know as I had my hand slapped for it once not knowing any better

HIDoutlet.ca is awesome, owner Anthony is great, and very knowledgable about HID systems. I purchased two of his Optix 6000K HID kits for my JK last octoberish, kit comes with waterproof Bosch ballasts......Driving and fogs...completely awesome, and I will install the same kits on my other vehicles too. I recently was a test pilot as well as (Rubicon_fan) for him for the 6000K HID windshield offroad light too, they have built in ballasts and kick A$$....here some pics. Tell Anthony I sent you (Steve redrock Jeep from Whistler) , and he should give you good deal...

You do not have to change the head unit, and I find that people rarely flash me, rarely, as I have my drivers headlight directed a little lower, and the passenger side light directed higher projecting the beam further, seems to be just fine. The headlight still directs the beam quite well, and does NOT seem to bother people IMO. Should get between 2500-3000hours life from the HID bulb, and 1 year warranty. I had to install a relay as well for the kit.

This is head light and fog lights only

The offroads are stupid bright, and shoot a a few hundread yards down no problems......i will go get some windshield light only pics later

Last edited by Robar; 02-07-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Edited direct link
Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

So the factory housing stays? Doesn't get too hot to melt things?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

rubisteve....how did you manage with the hid kit with your daytime running lights? I saw one kit at lordco that has a drl 'decoder' included.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
JK Freak

I'll definitely be calling them for both Headlights and Fogs... Did you get part numbers?

Just noticed they're in Richmond! Might be able to pickup too!!!! SAWEET
Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Firewire
So the factory housing stays? Doesn't get too hot to melt things?
Yes the factory housing stays, if you go HIDoutlet.ca and go to the HID kits, you will see the entire kit. I got the Optix HID kits. No extra heat that I am aware of, and I have had mine since last october. Everything works flawlessly.

Originally Posted by Summit
rubisteve....how did you manage with the hid kit with your daytime running lights? I saw one kit at lordco that has a drl 'decoder' included.
That can be a problem. If you don't have the dual/parallel HID/Halogen bulb kit, whatever other HID kit you get, it will run the lowbeam full time as the daytime driving lights.

I tried to install the Bi-Xenon kit (high and Low beam) but the JK computer would not recognize it. So Anthony (owner of Hidoutlet.ca)provided me with a HID Bulb mounted parallel to a Halogen bulb. The highbeam voltage for the OEM Halogens runs on the same power source for the daytime driving lights. That being said, the daytime driving lights use half the power/voltage of the highbeam (hope you guys follow this). So the dual (sidebyside) bulbs take care of the daytime driving lights. While driving around only the Halogen is powered, until I turn on the lights fully, then I have the HID's.

I have a single HID kit (only low beam) but it is ample to do the job. I can still use the high beam Halogen, but it doesn't really do as good as a job as the HID low beams.

As for the Lordco decoder, let me know if that works. If someone buys a bi-xenon kit and can figure out how to get the computer to read the highbeam....let me know. I know two other mbrs here that have the bi-xenon kit, but both have issues with their highbeam.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by Little Fella
I'll definitely be calling them for both Headlights and Fogs... Did you get part numbers?

Just noticed they're in Richmond! Might be able to pickup too!!!! SAWEET
No part numbers, but Just tell Anthony you want the same HID's I got. They are the Optix HID kits. If you tell him I sent you he should give you a good deal.

All I can say is that you guys won't be disappointed
Old 02-07-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a link send to me on how to make a bi-xenon HID kit work with using diodes and capacators from radio-shack.
I wonder if there is a way to completely "disable" our Canadian DRLs so they are no longer a problem?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Steve,
How hard was the wiring part of the install? I'm sure it wasn't plug & play, but what was required?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

That buzz you're hearing is the computer rapidly trying to move the bulb up and down in your your kit when you turn the highbeams on. BE WARNED, this will KILL your relay and the whole unit will not work. This happened to me when I was driving at night through the boondox of NM. No headlights and no streetlamps blows. Drove to the next exit using only my hazzards (no fogs b/c of aftermarket bumper).

I have a friend working on a fix for the bi-xenon kits. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: HID kit opinion.