Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hidden Antenna Mod

Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hidden Antenna Mod

OK. The weather is getting warmer so I started with a small mod.

So first I removed the dash cover and the radio.

Now, you are going to need an adapter. The Chrysler radios have a wierd antenna input.

Here's where it plugs in. The yellow input is for the Sirus Sat radio.

Now, you take the hidden antenna...

...and mount it to the metal bar under the soundbar. It has it's own adhesive backing.

I ran the wire to the passenger side and up the from roll bar to the windshield. Then under the plastic cover on the side of the windshield to the dash. Plug it in to the adapter and find the hot wire to the radio (yellow with red stripe) and splice the power wire from the hidden antenna. Throw it all back together and deal with the OE antenna.

There is a notch on the bottom of the plastic cover that you use to carefully pry the cover off. If you want to save/sell the antenna, then go slowly otherwise it will crack easily.

Once the cover is off you will see three bolts. Undo those and pull out the wire.

When it stops, give it a quick jerk. This will undo the rubber gasket on the inner fender.

Pull it out a little further and you will see a connector similar to the one on the back of the radio.

Undo that, and your antenna is now free and clear from your rig. Tuck in the remaining wire and top off the opening with a trail rated badge.

Nice clean look, and no worries about getting hung up on a branch.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Very cool idea and nice write up; that antenna does sure get annoying after a bit on those tight trails.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you kept all the pieces from the antenna mount? I was thinking about putting a CB antenna on the driver's side but don't know where to find those parts
Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
OK. The weather is getting warmer so I started with a small mod.

So first I removed the dash cover and the radio.

Now, you are going to need an adapter. The Chrysler radios have a wierd antenna input.

Here's where it plugs in. The yellow input is for the Sirus Sat radio.

Now, you take the hidden antenna...

...and mount it to the metal bar under the soundbar. It has it's own adhesive backing.

I ran the wire to the passenger side and up the from roll bar to the windshield. Then under the plastic cover on the side of the windshield to the dash. Plug it in to the adapter and find the hot wire to the radio (yellow with red stripe) and splice the power wire from the hidden antenna. Throw it all back together and deal with the OE antenna.

There is a notch on the bottom of the plastic cover that you use to carefully pry the cover off. If you want to save/sell the antenna, then go slowly otherwise it will crack easily.

Once the cover is off you will see three bolts. Undo those and pull out the wire.

When it stops, give it a quick jerk. This will undo the rubber gasket on the inner fender.

Pull it out a little further and you will see a connector similar to the one on the back of the radio.

Undo that, and your antenna is now free and clear from your rig. Tuck in the remaining wire and top off the opening with a trail rated badge.

Nice clean look, and no worries about getting hung up on a branch.
Good job, seems like a lot of trouble to me.
Nice Jeep...I have one like it from the model year before.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Nice write up. How's the radio reception with the new antenna?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Nice write up. How's the radio reception with the new antenna?
so far, so good. I had this set up on my last rig and had no issues.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Gonna have to try that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Hidden Antenna Mod