Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How to get Sirius Traffic and Travel Link to work if you are in Canada

Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get Sirius Traffic and Travel Link to work if you are in Canada

First:

These features are not offered or supported in Canada. Sirius Traffic is useful in some Canadian cities but Sirius Travel Link only offers US cities and is only moderately useful if you are in Canada. I would say get Sirius Traffic if you are in one of the supported cities but only bother with Travel Link if you are near the border or go to the US often.

How to do it:

Ok, first you need to activate a Sirius US subscription. I waited until my free year ran out and then subscribed to Sirius US online and added both traffic and travel link. I used a New York address (googled a hotel and got the address + zip code) and used my Canadian VISA credit card without issue.

Once I activated the services I noticed that my 730n RHR showed 3 green cars in the top right corner (meaning traffic is active) and I saw several icons (basketballs and stars) in the bottom left corner which related to travel link. The problem was I couldn't access the main service menus from the "Menu" tab. No "Sirius Traffic" or "Travel Link" soft bottoms appeared on my screen. To fix this I had to go to my Chrysler dealer and have them use the starscan tool to change my vehicles TIPM to the US version.

Once this is done the soft buttons appear.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

FYI,
Here is the SiriusXM coverage area for Traffic. It doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble unless you're in one of the few Canadian areas that they supply coverage. Which in your Toronto, Windsor and North of New York areas, you might be alright.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-04-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks!

You, sir are a GENIUS!

This worked like a charm.... I can't believe SiriusXM Canada....give a free two week preview...that INCLUDES traffic....and then you call to order only to be told it's not available ....umm..not available to pay for but available for free ??

(and then 'sorry it's only currently available for Ford and Chrysler vehicles... - did I miss a news article....thought Jeep was still part of the Chrysler brand....)

Wanted Traffic for March break trip to Florida.

Hope to see you again this year at Trailfest!

Rob

Quick Reply: How to get Sirius Traffic and Travel Link to work if you are in Canada