Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How much accessories on one battery???

Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much accessories on one battery???

Ok not sure if this has been asked but probably has. How many accessories would you say would be safe enough to put on a stock battery? The reason I am asking is because I was thinking of hooking up my winch, 2 HID fog lights and 2 kc slimlites. They of course will not be on at the same time. Or are there any alternatives I could do. Such as better battery or getting a dual battery set-up. And with that could you point me in a good direction for getting a better battery and/or dual set-up.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are running just about the same that I'm running. The OEM battery can't handle what I had. I changed to a Napa battery has 800 cold cranking amps and a two year unlimited warrenty. I spent $125.00 on it . Seems to work alright so far but it is only one month old.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

spend the money and get an optima.... they are made to be able to be drained down to like 20% energy left in them an still will recharge... i would say best battery you can get
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

It all depends on how you use your accessories. The HID lights will have less of a draw then the slimlights or standard halogens. I have HID converted headlights and 3 sets of foggers all rated @125w. I can have all the lights on and run my winch as long as the Jeep is running. If you're doing all that without the alternator giving any juice to the batt, it's going to drain out.

The issue eventually becomes when will the alternator not mitigate the draw from accessories, and I do not know the answer to that question. (electrical engineers please feel free to comment). People put in dual batt set-ups so that they have a near guaranteed way to start the Jeep, the second batt is to power accessories with the Jeep off and only draw current from a non-critical start battery. The secondary is in-turn recharged from the alternator when the Jeep is started again.

With a relatively new battery operating in it's optimal temperature range it could last the standard amount of operating time. If you have A TON of draw from the battery or it's operating at a higher temperature, it won't last as long.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

btw im running 4 kc slimlights
6 rock lights
2 backup lights
and a winch
had this for over a year and my stock battery is doing fine
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

runit3 the stock battery and alternator CANNOT handle a winch an eletric winch takes 250-500 amps of power when the alternator can only put back 125
if you run a winch long it will drain your battery if the jee is running or not
Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
runit3 the stock battery and alternator CANNOT handle a winch an eletric winch takes 250-500 amps of power when the alternator can only put back 125
if you run a winch long it will drain your battery if the jee is running or not
* I do not run my winch for extended periods of time, 1-5 minutes at a time max. pulling ~3-5k lbs laterally* My stock batt hasn't died yet, but I do understand that it's inevitable at some point regardless of if the Jeep is running or not (that was the point of my second paragraph, sorry if it wasn't clear)

Quick Reply: How much accessories on one battery???