Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How to pull 2011 front speakers?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to pull 2011 front speakers?

Has anyone done this on a 2011?

I'm looking to replace all 4 speakers. Sound bar is obviously easy but the front speakers worry my as I've seen posts on older models about having to take the dashboard apart.

The service guy at my dealership says that the little plastic grills pop out but I honestly don't see it when I'm looking at them...and don't want to start tugging at them and mess them up.

Clue me in would ya?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, the plastic grills will not pop off, they are part of the main interment panel cover.

Using a plastic trim removal tool pop off the end panels. There will be 2 screws attaching the speaker box to the instrument panel frame and another you can access from under.

I would then remove the screw on the very bottom and end of the instrument panel cover to allow you enough room to wiggle out the speaker box.

Hope that sounds straightforward.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREEV
Has anyone done this on a 2011?

I'm looking to replace all 4 speakers. Sound bar is obviously easy but the front speakers worry my as I've seen posts on older models about having to take the dashboard apart.

The service guy at my dealership says that the little plastic grills pop out but I honestly don't see it when I'm looking at them...and don't want to start tugging at them and mess them up.

Clue me in would ya?

I did the 77Kick10 speaker change yesterday. I have the Infinity 130 media. The fronts are a bit more complicated. I have the Rubicon, and the switches for the lockers and Disco will get in the way. you have to take the side panels off, remove the 2 brass colored 7mm screws, and a 10mm screw from the bottom to unbolt the housing, pop out the switch panel and move the speaker housing enough to get a T15 torx in there to remove the 3 scres holding the speaker (Driver side). Of course you have to remove the panel under the steering wheel first and remove the four 7mm screws to be able to partially move the panel covering the speaker housing.

On the pass side, remove the glove box, remove the side panel, remove the 2 side brass screws and the 10mm screw on the bottom holding the speaker housing, move the housing towards the glove box opening and remove the speaker by removing the three T15 torx screws.

I also did the overhead speakers, very simple, just remove the three T15 screws and take the cover and the speaker out.

I also changed the front tweeters to Infinity 1031, that made a huge difference in the sound, I think more than the front Kickers did. I may just go back to stock speakers in the front and keep the Kickers in the overhead. I think I was getting better imaging by the 1031 tweeters and stock speakers which had less highs than the kickers' built in tweeters that may be interfeering with the top tweeters.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4X4JK
I did the 77Kick10 speaker change yesterday. I have the Infinity 130 media. The fronts are a bit more complicated. I have the Rubicon, and the switches for the lockers and Disco will get in the way. you have to take the side panels off, remove the 2 brass colored 7mm screws, and a 10mm screw from the bottom to unbolt the housing, pop out the switch panel and move the speaker housing enough to get a T15 torx in there to remove the 3 scres holding the speaker (Driver side). Of course you have to remove the panel under the steering wheel first and remove the four 7mm screws to be able to partially move the panel covering the speaker housing.

On the pass side, remove the glove box, remove the side panel, remove the 2 side brass screws and the 10mm screw on the bottom holding the speaker housing, move the housing towards the glove box opening and remove the speaker by removing the three T15 torx screws.

I also did the overhead speakers, very simple, just remove the three T15 screws and take the cover and the speaker out.

I also changed the front tweeters to Infinity 1031, that made a huge difference in the sound, I think more than the front Kickers did. I may just go back to stock speakers in the front and keep the Kickers in the overhead. I think I was getting better imaging by the 1031 tweeters and stock speakers which had less highs than the kickers' built in tweeters that may be interfeering with the top tweeters.
Did the 1031 tweeters fit in the original enclosures? Did you need to change any wiring ie. crosss over ect.? I was thinking of changing out both front and rear speakers with kickers . But if i can get away with just the tweeters in front. I may go that rout. How is the bass? Do the rear kickers fill the lack of bass from the front with the stock speaker?

Quick Reply: How to pull 2011 front speakers?