Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

? How to tap into light power

Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? How to tap into light power

Title sucks but I need to find a wire that I can tie into that is only hot when the lights are on. Anyone know of one in the dash. (I know I could tap into the headlights but I would like to keep it simple.)
Old 02-21-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no wire inside the cab to tap for headlights!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

There surely is. . .If you pop open your center dash, if you need directions, search or pm, you will find the wirelooms to the heat/ac controls, look for the orange/gray stripe wire, inline tap to that, and there's your hot only when your lights are on (its on the dimmer aswell) so if you dim your interior lights, it will dim whatever lights you're wiring in. I have 2 led's to light up the abyss that is my shifter, and xcase shifter. I got tired of having to fish in the dark to shift.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09JeepBuilder
There surely is. . .If you pop open your center dash, if you need directions, search or pm, you will find the wirelooms to the heat/ac controls, look for the orange/gray stripe wire, inline tap to that, and there's your hot only when your lights are on (its on the dimmer aswell) so if you dim your interior lights, it will dim whatever lights you're wiring in. I have 2 led's to light up the abyss that is my shifter, and xcase shifter. I got tired of having to fish in the dark to shift.
Hey thanks! That is what I was looking for. ...... was going to ask if you noticed any pulsing (from canbus) but I see where you posted that you have led's on it so not sure you'd notice pulsing anyway. I am not sure if my gauge is lit with led or not. It requires ground, switched, always on, and headlight/instrument light hookups to work correctly! Guess I know what I will be doing this afternoon!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

no pulsing, as long as you use one of those inline connectors that leave the existing connection whole, and just taps in. Its not a big wire so i wouldnt load that circuit up with a bunch of lights. I'd say it's probably a 20 ga wire, so be cautious.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 09JeepBuilder
Sorry Dude. Thought that you were looking for a headlight circuit. If you are looking for a dash light circuit then, uh yah, any one will do. But if you are looking for a headlight circuit in the cab then good luck.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 02-21-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Actually I originally posted headlight for lack of "really" knowing what I needed. I have located the gray striped orange wire and I think it should work great. The "headlight wire" (as the directions state) changes the gauge from blue to red at night and I just hope it works when dimmed because as they say, "that would be cool!".
Old 02-21-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

yup, that'll do it, and it will dim with your dimmer on the tree, LED's significantly dim with the dimmer, nice and smooth, if the gauge has a regular bulb, lemme know how well and sensitive it is to the dimming

Quick Reply: ? How to tap into light power