Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

I KNOW I'm an idiot BUT the owner's manual seems wrong LIGHT REPLACEMENT

Old 11-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by newtdog
I remember the first time I had to change the bulbs...............what a pain in the ass!!!!! You're not alone.
Yeah...I haven't had to change a bulb yet and I was reading this thread and was like.......

"I have to remove the grill to change a damn head light bulb!!!???"

Next thing ya know, I'll have to remove my fenders to put air in the tires.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-09-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll

Yeah...I haven't had to change a bulb yet and I was reading this thread and was like.......

"I have to remove the grill to change a damn head light bulb!!!???"

Next thing ya know, I'll have to remove my fenders to put air in the tires.

You only need to remove the grill if you want to change the headlight itself.

However, you will still need to remove some stuff from the back of the headlights (e.g. horn) to reach the bulbs if you want to change them.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see the big deal. The grill comes off in two minutes.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have to remove the grill if you have a flexible driver to remove the torx on the headlight ring.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newtdog
I remember the first time I had to change the bulbs...............what a pain in the ass!!!!! You're not alone.
Yes, another JEEP innovation - make it as difficult as possible to change a light bulb!
When I think of JEEP, I think of ...utility vehicle, tough off road, easily fixed, simple :-)
Well, not on the newer one's anymore!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Biggy
I dont see the big deal. The grill comes off in two minutes.
This. On my CTS-V, the whole bumper and headlight assembly had to be removed to change a headlight bulb. Then it was an expensive HID one at that. I can get a JK grille off in 2 minutes, and have the bulb changed and back together in 10 minutes tops.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
This. On my CTS-V, the whole bumper and headlight assembly had to be removed to change a headlight bulb. Then it was an expensive HID one at that. I can get a JK grille off in 2 minutes, and have the bulb changed and back together in 10 minutes tops.
Excellent. Can you drive to my house in Michigan and make sure you bring your tools with you, since you're so good at it? The last time I changed a bulb, I didn't need to remove a grill or even pull out a wrench. It took me all of 30 seconds to hand twist the plastic clip from the back of the lens and then hand twist the bulb out of the light socket and hand twist the new one in and then hand twist the bulb socket back into the lens. So that was 20 times faster than what you described.

It only takes me 5 seconds to unscrew the value stems off my tires to fill the valve stems with air. I suppose if I had to remove the fenders to fill the air in my tires, I could have all the right tools on hand and remove the fender within 10 minutes also.

The point that seems to be missed is the increased inefficiency to do what used to be a very simple task.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapping headlamps on my old 2004 Avalanche took 2 minutes per side, very easy. My 2007 Avalanche was about a 90 minute process that involved removing the grill-bumper facia... Not so easy. My 2012 Jeep grill looks like it would normally be easy enough except I have a Warn CTI winch behind the AEV bumper. The winch is very close to the grill and it doesn't look like there would be enough room to pop the bottom out.

Has anyone with a similer setup removed the grill without removing the winch?

Quick Reply: I KNOW I'm an idiot BUT the owner's manual seems wrong LIGHT REPLACEMENT