Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Inside cab lights will not shut off....

Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside cab lights will not shut off....

I am having trouble with the cab lights not shutting off in my 07 4 door. I have checked the rear light to make sure it wasnt turned on and that isnt the problem. The dimmer knob will not shut the lights off. It will make the lights in the instrument pannel go lower and higher but it will not shut the lights off in the cab. Anyone have any ideas. It started last night and the battery would have been dead but I unplugged it this afternoon. I messed with it for over an hour earlier and there is definitly something wrong. I havent found anything on this. Please lend me your help on this one.. Thanks..
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07jkjeeper
I am having trouble with the cab lights not shutting off in my 07 4 door. I have checked the rear light to make sure it wasnt turned on and that isnt the problem. The dimmer knob will not shut the lights off. It will make the lights in the instrument pannel go lower and higher but it will not shut the lights off in the cab. Anyone have any ideas. It started last night and the battery would have been dead but I unplugged it this afternoon. I messed with it for over an hour earlier and there is definitly something wrong. I havent found anything on this. Please lend me your help on this one.. Thanks..
Sounds llike a defective switch in one of your doors, unless one of your doors is not all the way shut.

Last edited by ASTE25; 08-26-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on the defective switch.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ASTE25
Sounds llike a defective switch in one of your doors, unless one of your doors is not all the way shut.
I think the easiest way to narrow it down would be to disconnect the wiring from one door at a time and wait a few minutes to see if the light goes out. If the light goes out then that would be the bad switch.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ASTE25
I think the easiest way to narrow it down would be to disconnect the wiring from one door at a time and wait a few minutes to see if the light goes out. If the light goes out then that would be the bad switch.
Don't forget the tailgate. But, wouldn't this switch also trigger a "DOOR" or "GATE" warning on the dash? Did you check the dash, 07jkjeeper?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Don't forget the tailgate. But, wouldn't this switch also trigger a "DOOR" or "GATE" warning on the dash? Did you check the dash, 07jkjeeper?
You know, I have to admit, I did forget about the tailgate. It's tough trying to diagnose online. I was just thinking off the top of my head. A wiring diagram would really be helpful.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I drove around for 1 week with my rear dome light on and couldn't figure out how to turn it off via the front driving switch controls.....I then found out, that if you push on the light lens, that it's also a light on/off switch. I guess, I accidentally bumped that light and turned it to the always on position.

Even if the light stays on, or switched to the ON position, it ALWAYS turns off after about 5 minutes to prevent the battery from going dead. Leave your side doors open and see what I'm talking about....You will see the dome lights will shut off automatically after leaving your doors open for about 5 minutes. At least it does that in my 2009....can't say for certain in the 2007.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-27-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I drove around for 1 week with my rear dome light on and couldn't figure out how to turn it off via the front driving switches.....I then found out, that if you push on the light lens, that it's also a light on/off switch. I guess, I accidentally bumped that light and turned it to the always on position.

Even if the light stays on, or switched to the ON position, it ALWAYS turns off after about 3-5 minutes to prevent the battery from going dead. Leave your side doors open and see what I'm talking about.
Yes, that's true. With that being true, then the door switch wouldnt allow the light to drain the battery. Well, time to break out a wiring diagram and check some wires.

Quick Reply: Inside cab lights will not shut off....