Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installed my garage door opener mod!!!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Very well done!

I love this idea and am going to play around with this mod tomorrow, thank you for the great write up and pictures!

Matthew
Cool Matthew, can't wait to see your outcome!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Rednroll, I went to radio shack and the guy seemed like he didn't know much about what I was asking him about dropping the voltage fro 12 - 9. He also mentioned to see what wattage I needed? I just said I'd check and left... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SynysterHD
Rednroll, I went to radio shack and the guy seemed like he didn't know much about what I was asking him about dropping the voltage fro 12 - 9. He also mentioned to see what wattage I needed? I just said I'd check and left... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to a smaller electronics store. I have a family owned electronics store in my historic downtown and the old man that runs it is a genius with electronics. They'll typically be able to set you up a wiring harness setup for half the price of big chains.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Go to a smaller electronics store. I have a family owned electronics store in my historic downtown and the old man that runs it is a genius with electronics. They'll typically be able to set you up a wiring harness setup for half the price of big chains.
Cool, I have a Historic Downtown here in Fredericksburg. I will have to check and see if we have an electronics store here. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by vrassingslc
Just bought the switch on eBay!! Great mod!
OK I spent some time a couple of weeks ago putting this in and I am very happy about the results! https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/imag...lies/thumb.gif I will post pics later but to summarize I followed the directions and instead of trying to figure out the proper diode matrix (my battery voltage for the opener is 3.7v) I mounted the actual opener in the very bottom of the dash so if the battery dies it will be an easy fix.
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by vrassingslc
OK I spent some time a couple of weeks ago putting this in and I am very happy about the results! https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/imag...lies/thumb.gif I will post pics later but to summarize I followed the directions and instead of trying to figure out the proper diode matrix (my battery voltage for the opener is 3.7v) I mounted the actual opener in the very bottom of the dash so if the battery dies it will be an easy fix.
Thanks!
That's great! I can't wait to see the pics.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Digging up an old thread as I followed this lil DIY last week. The forum just keeps on giving . After pulling my rollbar padding I had no place to hide my garage door remote, and since I'm topless most the time that was one thing I was getting paranoid about letting sit out. Bought a couple $1 buttons on eBay and did this mod. Worked like a charm. I mounted mine in the a-pillar thinking that if I ever did want to pull the buttons out, that would be the cheapest/smallest piece of plastic to replace. The remote itself is tucked just inside the dashboard side cover for easy access.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1190718319012353945-account_id=1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	670376   Click image for larger version

Name:	3173656532509078105-account_id=1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	670377  
Old 04-17-2017, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

In all my years of owning Jeeps I never even thought of the potential risk with a garage door opener. Good idea!
Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
In all my years of owning Jeeps I never even thought of the potential risk with a garage door opener. Good idea!
I'm topless most the time, so I don't leave anything in it that would piss me off if it was swiped. I only worry about the garage door opener since someone could grab it, take my plate number, and easily figure out where I live. Odds are I'd realize it fast and reset the code, but you never know.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

I just tucked mine in the roll bar padding where there was already a void. Just reach up and touch it with my left hand. No one will ever know it's there...

Quick Reply: Installed my garage door opener mod!!!