Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Integrating IPAD into Dash...what is required for output?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integrating IPAD into Dash...what is required for output?

So, Ive jumped on the Ipad JK wagon and using it to control my stereo, nav, obd2 output (and more for my engineering project for uni) etc. Ive got an 07 4 door rubi with obviously the infinity system. Was running my Pioneer AVIC-HD3 (I think the ZH1 or something like that is the US equivalent) regardless, I therefore have the Meta wiring harness so I can interface it with the Canbus.

What I need to know is, do I need to still feed the ipad output to another source input, which then feeds to the infinity system, or can the ipad simply be fine to run directly to the infinity system, and have volume control via the ipad volume control? Im planning to hardwire a usb power that will connect to the ipad dock for charging as well as system sounds etc, and also gives out a 3.5mm line out that can be connected to the meta loom via a 3.5 to rca adapter..

Anyone who knows this for sure please let me know. Some people have posted their installs using a source unit, some seemingly direct to the stock system, and others like cop 4x4's with an output gain control?

Cheers in advance...
Old 03-11-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

I have seen a couple threads on here about people setting up their iPads. Even had some good instal videos. Try posting it up in the electrical and lighting section. Someone should be able to help you. Plenty of gurus.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Did you try the Mopar iphone dock connector, I plugged a friends ipad into mine and it charges the Ipad and shows up on my nav unit like the iphone does and could control Itunes.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 AM
JK Newbie

nope havent tried the mopar connector, dont think i need to as I dont want to use it with another source unit (if i dont have to). Charging wont be an issue, the issue is whether or not the stock infinity system will run directly from the ipad through the metra wire loom i have (ie, source volume control etc, not sure if the ipad needs to run through a source unit then infinity system, or ipad directly to the infinity....

Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just ask Camp! Im sure he would be willing to lend an opinion!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

not much help there, he doesnt know exactly how it works....
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, so part 1 is done. Mounted and part wired, this will be my head unit...old unit removed. For anyone wondering about wiring (as I was was before doing this 2 days ago:
-have a chto-03 wire harness in conjunction with my rubicons factory infinity system.
-getting my line out from the dock connector, then to the RCA inputs on the chto-03 (you loose any volume control on the iPad when this is done) so, you will need a potentiometer to adjust volume (won't boost the volume), a preamp like the jl audio or clarion half din units discussed with parametric eqs (what I plan to buy this week, or another idea i have) pretty nice, seeing as the input voltage can be upped to 12v ! Pretty handy if you are after real sq and planning to upgrade the system.

You can however, get by running this setup with ONLY the iPad and chto-03 without an eq or similar unit to give back volume control. Not ideal, but you can use the pot gain inside the chto-03 for volume; just remove the solder holding it on, run 2 wires long enough for a remote volume control, solder the pot to the wires and wires to chto-03 and put a dimmer switch on the pot so it's a good size. I wouldnt recommend it as it's just asking for noise. Also, I couldn't figure out why the harness wouldn't output to my amps with my iPad setup, turns out the amp wasn't switching. You don't need to with a proper head unit but using the iPad on it's own. You need to connect the solid blue wire on the 22 pin connector to the solid red wire on the 14 pin connector (essentially you are using the original accessory wire for the head unit to turn the amp on, only without a head unit in between. Hope that makes sense.

The iPad sits completely flush where my nav unit used to be (sits about 1" more recessed, making it look completely stock woohoo!) the half din clarion eq I will purchase, will sit perfectly between the iPad and air vents. For the time being the iPad is in a fixed position. I will make 2 other mounting plates and then decide which one I prefer and will use all the time. One includes a 360deg swivel/tilt all while sitting relatively flush. iPad looks soooo damn good when it's angled directly at the driver Bbecause I do long drives to uni n other stuff, it's a nice touch. The other will either be fixed or swivel, but have alot of storage space

If anyone has any questions for their own project, just ask. I wrote this reply for anyone else who may be stuck as I was the other day, and be descriptive as possible.....that and the fact that Im a good shat talker lol.....

For those that think it's just a stupid gay idea using an iPad in their jeep and the latte comments that come with it, don't knock it till u try it. I love my electronics, it's alot cheaper than a nav unit and really, craps over any other option in terms of features, especially when you jailbreak it. Main reason for my install is because I cracked the screen on my pioneer avic-hd3 Nav unit ( if anyone wants it mKe me an offer, still works perfect, just needs a new LCD (touchscreen digitizer is fine and for the time being pretty much e erythig can be controlled via the buttons or a remote). Also, I plan on utilizing the jeeps ecu through softwAre I will write as part of my university engineering project. Also gonna try bypassing the ipads DAC using the camera connector kit and running the line out through a very good quality 24bit DAC, and using a powered external drive (yes it can be done via ssh, I've tried it).

EDIT: oh yeah, I still need to mould the top of the dash. Like the others on this forum, ill be moulding with (most probably) abs cement for the sides, neatening trimming around the ipad mount so its neat when ipad is removed and then texture spray to match everything else. The otterbox defender is just a stupidly PERFECT case to use in our JKs as the rubberised and textured plastic makes the whole unit look completely factory, plus I think its the best case out there PERIOD if you are ruff and throw things around like I do.

Would also like to thank fastrat350 for helping out with options for a preamp , his install looks fantastic!

Ok enough typing, I'm done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3628204496.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	138130  

Last edited by sethgun; 03-15-2011 at 06:40 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

dont get it as in.....?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome! Looks good!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

I've been thinking about doing this. Had a Kenwood unit. Didnt work out. Installed a RER and I'm not sold on it.

Quick Reply: Integrating IPAD into Dash...what is required for output?