Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara

Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 1/2 weeks have gone by and last evening I could not open the Jeep via the FOB (even remote start). I then opened the fob, popped out the battery, reinserted the battery. Then as I was putting the fob together the jeep unlocked. I am going to go and get some new batteries even though 3 weeks ago the battery read 3V on the multimeter.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

I have been having the same problem in my '09 Rubi. It happens randomly with both key fobs. It can go weeks without happening, then voila, it happens every couple of days for a while. I have to open it manually, stick the key in to stop the alarm, and it works fine for a day or two. It's getting pretty annoying.

I know that I can just lock it from the doors before I leave the Jeep, but for as much as I paid for this thing, I shouldn't have to. I got upset enough to take it to the dealership. I told them what I had been reading. They called me back today (the next day), and they said that everything reads fine, and I have to wait for it to die because if it doesn't happen in front of them, warranty won't cover it. If anyone gets this thing figured out, please let me know.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

I have an update. I was able to pull the diagnostics on my jeep and saw the code P0513 appear which translates to an invalid SKIM key. This is related to the ECU from what I can tell which guess what.. Is the brains to this issue. One option to fix indicated that resetting the system (pulling the negative terminal connection) and this should clear the code and reset the system. Will try this and then schedule an appointment to with the dealership now that I have something tangible to tie this to.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tntbowler
I have one annoyance with my 09 Sahara. This happens a couple times a week and I can't figure out why this is happening. This happens with both fobs too.

Lock and arm the vehicle with the key fob. When I go and unlock it sometimes it will unlock with the fobs (notice plural) and sometimes it won't. When it doesn't none of the buttons appear to be working on either fob.

I have to unlock the door by inserting the key in the drivers side door, open the door (which sets off the alarm) and insert the key and turn it to disarm.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions for me to try? I am afraid to take it to the dealership and they will give the unnecessary run around as they can not reproduce the problem.
I was having this problem on my main car key as well...Then one day I was leaving for work and I grabbed my spare (still had my other key and keys in my pocket.) Go outside works fine (spare) so I drive to work...decided to just leave the main key in the glove box and use the spare key all day to see how that goes ( I'm in sales and out in the field all day constantly in and out of the jeep) I noticed that it was giving me the same problem (main key in glove box me outside of jeep trying to lock it with spare) sometimes it would lock or unlock others it wouldn't or it would but after about 100 tries.

I decided to just change the batteries on both keys. So I bought the batts changed em both when I got home that night and without even thinking the next day I just took my main key as usual (new batt) and it has been working perfect since then. I think the reason it wouldn't lock when I tried with the spare is cuz my main key was in the vehicle in glove box and the oem sentry system picks that up and won't allow you to lock as a safety thing.

Enough typing...just change your batt
Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

I changed the battery last month and unfortunately it did not resolve this issue. As with many other's I've seen experience this issue.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

I have same problem with both of the FOB's on 2009 Sahara. I changed the battery in one but it did not make a difference. Just did not work on a random basis and alarm goes off when I open the door with the key.
I mentioned it to the dealer when I got an oil change 2 weeks ago and he just gave me a new FOB and I have not had a problem since. Wish I had both FOBs with me so both would have been replaced. So unless something changes, I will assume the problem is with the FOB itself at this point.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

I am glad to see I am not alone in my pain with this issue. I searched here this evening before I take the Jeep to the dealer for the 4th time for the fix. It isn't really my issue, since it is the girlfriend's Jeep, but I am still feeling her pain!

It started a few months ago. We have the same symptoms as everyone else is posting on here. The fobs worked / didn't work and there was no real underlying reasons that were clearly causing the issue. The fob was not opening the doors and she would have to unlock the door with the key, setting off the alarm, and then start the vehicle to silence the alarm. Problem with that is that the last time around she was at work and started the car with the OEM remote start option. When she got to the Jeep she couldn't get the fob to unlock the door. She opened the door with the key, setting off the alarm and shutting off the remote start option. Here is where the problem comes into play. The Jeep wouldn't start with the key. She put the key in the ignition and the Jeep wouldn't start. The alarm continued to come on and shut off intermittently after that. She had to have it towed back to the dealer where we purchased it - alarm going of on the back of the flatbed over and over the whole way there.

So the dealer tells me that the module has been replaced and they had to reprogram both key fobs. A couple of weeks later and we are back to sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Now they are not working more often than they are working.

I am calling the dealer again tomorrow to make yet another service appointment. It will be nice to be able to tell them that this seems to be a somewhat common problem. I may even have to direct them to this thread.

Anyone out there have a sure-fire fix for this? Is this something we are all just living with?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Well, it is off to the dealer again tomorrow for another round of service.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I am having to live with it. The dealer told me that it has to be hooked up to their machines and not responding at that time for them to be able to do anything about it. I told him about suggestions people have mentioned, and he informed me that nothing really matters if it isn't happening while it is with them. Jeep won't let them experiment. I then asked how much it would be for me to just buy the module and have it replaced on my own dollar. He said that I should just wait until it dies.

I emailed Jeep, letting them know of my displeasure of this. Heck, my wife doesn't even like to ride in the Jeep anymore because she is embarrassed of having the alarm go off whenever she gets in it. Jeep said that I should take it to the dealer and see what they can do. (Hmm.....) It seems to be a round-and-round thing. I love my Jeep, but I am getting sick of this.

I know it's just a tiny thing, but had I known that it was going to be this big of a problem, I wouldn't have bought this Jeep. I spent too much money to have it not work and not be able to be fixed.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been dealing with this for quite a while and trying to pay attention to what's going on with it.

I think the problem is with the key/fob, not with the receiver module inside the Jeep. A couple of things that led me to this:
- When it fails to unlock if I take the key apart and reseat the battery it works every time.
- Normally I would have the key in my right pants pocket and my work cell phone on a belt clip on my right side. Lately I've been leaving the key in my left coat pocket all day and it's worked every time.

Yes, it's a small thing but still annoying as hell.

I've been locking the doors manually (using the locks at each door, not the power locks) so that if it fails the alarm doesn't go off. If i could find a way to permanently disable the alarm I'd do that.

Quick Reply: Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara