Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

inverter vs. 12v socket

Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inverter vs. 12v socket

I've seen the posts for installing power inverters, but none for adding a 12v socket. I would like to add something to the rear (cargo, back seat, or hitch) that will let me power a fridge and small electronics. Any reason to install one vs. the other. And which would be the easiest. Can I just tap into the 12v hot from the battery in the back somewhere. I am not the best at completing these projects. I have spare inverters and the 12v add on sockets look inexpensive. (Oh, and I'll be adding a dual battery system at some point to provide the extra juice, if that matters for wiring)

Thanks
DD
Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need is power and ground for it. You need to be considerate for how much current you plan on drawing. I wouldn't run more than 15a constant through your average 12v socket. Also you'll have to fuse that wire coming from the battery, and also remember it will be powered 100% of the time. You could also run a relay that is key or toggle switched. All in what you are looking for..
Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the size of inverter, you may have some issues running sufficient size wire to the back. I've looked into this a bit as well. My plan is to put an extra 12 volt in the rear with a switch in the dash so it isn't always hot. If you really need to run an inverter, I'd consider keeping it closer to the power source (battery) and then you keep a outdoor rated extension in your Jeep for those times when you want to run power in the back. Just my .02 but I'd love to see what you come up with.

Quick Reply: inverter vs. 12v socket