Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF 920 Headlights Installed

Old 06-19-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPF 920 Headlights Installed

Installed the new IPF headlights last night from Northridge. I took pictures inside the garage about 18' from the overhead door. First lo and hi with old lights and then lo and hi with the new lights. I can honestly say that the original bulbs have a considerably wider spread of light which illuminates more of the road directly in front of the Jeep. The new ones are a brighter white but with less spread. I then took a short drive about a half mile at night and feel the new ones are brighter further out. But I miss the close up illumination. Well fogs will take care of that on lo beams. May have to add more lights. Took about an hour and the pigtails needed to be taped to the original sockets to hold them in place. They still have not corrected the connector to match the OEM type. Well, tape works for me.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Come on man, post 'em up.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bikerbill
Took about an hour and the pigtails needed to be taped to the original sockets to hold them in place. They still have not corrected the connector to match the OEM type. Well, tape works for me.
I just installed mine today and had the same problem, I was told at purchase that they were the updated harnesses, who knows. I just used a razor blade and cut the plastic catch down until the harness would lock into the factory one. Worked great, love the lights.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... I can honestly say that the original bulbs have a considerably wider spread of light which illuminates more of the road directly in front of the Jeep. The new ones are a brighter white but with less spread. ...
Before saying anything else, let me make clear that I did not like the blue-tinted bulbs, so replaced them before install with the cheapest Sylvania halogen lamps I could find ($20 a pair).

What you describe above was NOT my experience at all. The road with the stock bulbs, in dim, was lit in a broad, narrow band out in front of the Jeep. The area immediately in front of the Jeep was almost completely dark--but that could be illuminated by turning on the fogs. On high, the light output was so dim that a vehicle behind me (obviously with their lights on dim) would wash out the light from my own headlights (I'd see my shadow strongly illuminated over my headlight pattern). The stock headlights were almost unusable, IHMO.

After installing the IPFs with the replacement bulbs I selected (which perfectly color-match the stock bulbs, BTW), I now have a broad pattern from the front of the Jeep all of the way to the cut-off that is well-illuminated. In fact, when I turn on my fog lights and have the headlights on dim (duh!), I can barely tell that the fogs are even turned on. I am delighted with the combination I have installed on dim. On high, the light is not as bright as I would like it. But, it has a much better beam pattern than stock--I just wish there was more light. I may try a different style of bulb in the future, but I'm not a big fan of $60 bulbs.

A thought: I wonder if Jeep may have done some tweaking on the stock lens assemblies over the years to fix what was an obvious problem (and IMHO safety issue). We are comparing a 2010 and a 2007 model.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default Pics attached--happy now?

Here's the before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OriginalLowBeams-sml..jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	73338   Click image for larger version

Name:	OriginalHighBeams-sml..jpg
Views:	68
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	73339   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLowBeams-sml..jpg
Views:	70
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	73340   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewHighBeams-sml..jpg
Views:	79
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	73341  
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 0llll0
I just installed mine today and had the same problem, I was told at purchase that they were the updated harnesses, who knows. I just used a razor blade and cut the plastic catch down until the harness would lock into the factory one. Worked great, love the lights.
I installed mine last week and the harness worked just fine.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Here's the before and after pics.
Very happy now, thanks for the pictures! I installed mine last week, but except for making sure they were aligned correctly, I did not get any picts. With low beams and fogs, the light is a bit brighter and definitely farther than stock. High beams are AWESOME compared to stock.

Quick Reply: IPF 920 Headlights Installed