Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF H4 Headlights for TJ...in JK?

Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPF H4 Headlights for TJ...in JK?

When I sold my TJ, I pulled the IPF headlights and Fatboy bulbs out. Is there any way to stick any them in the JK? An adapter or something? I figured before I sell it at a loss, I'd check it out. Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlamps will fit no problem. The bulbs, assuming they are H4s, will need a pigtail adapter to convert the H13 socket on the JK to the H4 (or which ever bulb the fatboys are). Assuming the fatboys are stock wattage (from what i remember they are) then they will also work no problem, just need the pigtail that you can get at many automotive lighting sources online, just search headlight pigtail. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds good. I checked out some pics. Would the pigtail then get spliced into the h13 wires, or could it be wired to a male h13 connector that would just plug into (and convert) the plug? Probably a stupid question...I'm just looking for the best way to fry myself. Can't wait to get to the off-road lights.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

There are two versions that i have seen. Ones you splice and others that are plug-n-play.

If you want plug-n-play, if i were you, i would just look up "H13 male socket" and "H4 female socket". Combine those two together and you have a H13-H4 conversion setup. Each socket would run you about $5-6. There is a company charging like $45 for a pair which is too much (regardless if it's ceramic or not).

To splice it, you would only need the H4 socket and then just cut off the stock H13 socket and wire accordingly.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

I did the same. I put the IPFs and fat boys on my 2005 LJ Rubi then switched them over to my 2007 Rubi JK.

The fat boys are not stock wattage and require heavier wiring and relays. One thing unique to the JK is the pulsed voltage regulator that makes the relays buss in a very irritating manor. Using a capacitor and diode solved that problem.

It was a bit of a hassle but it worked out well. The low beams just burned out within a day of each other, and I replaced them with a new version of the fat boys now sold under the ARB name. I got almost five years out of them.

I got the capacitor and diode trick off of this board, BTW.

Chuck
Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hold the phone... are u saying we can just make h13 to H4 adaptors by plugging two together? I'm not understanding. perhaps u can post links to parts for me?

If I can do this, I'd like to run Cibie H4 with stock wattage bulbs. if so, would I need to address power pulsing? if yes, please share links to those threads.
(ive been considering a full harness upgrade from Daniel Stern)

TIA
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Yes u can make a crossover pigtail that easy. U would have to solder or crimp the loose ends of the sockets and voilą. With stock wattage bulbs, you would be just fine and not need to do the upgraded wiring. I will post up links for the parts this evening, I'm on my iPhone so it's a little tough now. U can search for h4 and h13 sockets and it should direct u where u need to go.

There's no need for the harness upgrade unless u plan on using highet than stock wattage bulbs like 70/80 or whatever.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

So if I understand this correctly, I need a male H13 which acts like the bulb, and plugs into the factory female H13 harness. This is not available in 3 of my local stores. (I found female replacement H4 conntectors and bought a pair, so I'm good there.)

Is this the correct part?

I found it here: ://www.eautoworks.com/product-eAutoWorkscom-183999.htm

Is that the same as these two (which i found here: ://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=215):

--------
What's In My Cart?
Headlight socket pigtail/attached wire (male or female)
- Type Male
- Size H13/aka 9008
$12.00

Headlight socket pigtail/attached wire (male or female)
- Type Female
- Size 9003/H4/HB2 (Also for 6054 & 6024 sealed beams)

And is that the same as this site:
://autolumination.com/connectors.htm

Pigtail
Item # Socket Color: H13 Male
Type: Pigtail
(2) $6.98
Pigtail
Item # Socket Color: H4 B-Y-BL
Type: Pigtail
(2) $6.98
Item total: $13.96 USD (for all 4 parts)

I had read that cheap connectors is not a good idea, but perhaps it's ok with stock wattage bulbs, which I plan on running.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

The ones pictured are what you are buying (in general). Those pictured look to be the female h13 end which are the opposite of what you need. Like you said you want the end that acts as the bulb for the h13 and the end that excepts the bulb for the h4s.

as far as quality, with stock wattage, it shouldn't be an issue unless they are extremely too small guage of wire (at least 12 i would think should do it looking at the stock wiring). All the sockets i have seen appear to be at lesat that.

The suvlights link u provided is what you are looknig for. It seems that the h13 male socket is $3 more and the h4 is only a $1 more. Looks to be $22 plus tax/shipping which isnt too bad. Connect those up according to high beam, low beam, and ground (not sure which is which off hand but a simple search could provide you with those answers).

The cibies pop right in with no modification. Choose the h4 bulb of your choice as long as it is stock wattage and you are ready to go!

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

cool. tnx for the info

Quick Reply: IPF H4 Headlights for TJ...in JK?