Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep DOA

Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep DOA

I know this is going to be a dumb one, but here goes!

Monday, I was waxing my Jeep and had the Sirius going (for background sound + listening to the race @ Charlotte). I don't think it was on for more than three hrs tops. I got in to put it in the garage and it was dead. I jumped it and let it run for a good half an hr and put it away. I went out this morning to start it an d it was deader than dead? I finally got it started this afternoon after about 15 minutes of trying.

I had moved it a couple of times (Monday) to get a better signal + my granddaughter had watched a dvd (in the factory unit) for about 15 minutes. Kind of pointless since it can't be used in motion anyway and the first time in 2 years that I tried it.

Did I kill the battery or was it weak to begin with? What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I know I will hear "don't watch dvds or listen to the radio". Awefull lot of money not to do those things.

I can't get the dealer to reply in reference to the crappy hinges, so I know I won't get a reply on this. This is why I love the forum, I get all of the right answers. It's a wealth of knowledge and great to have!

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

My battery was junk, 600 CCA. That battery will barely keep a Kia Rio starting. If you do not drive your jeep for a couple of weeks it will be dead.

I replaced the battery the first week I owned the jeep.

My 2000 Ford Superduty diesel still has the original batteries and still starts during the winter and after sitting two weeks.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had all doors open, jeep was off, and infinity system pumping for almost 5 hours while on the farm and it ran like a champ. In fact I have been super impressed by the stock battery. Don't get me wrong though...it was just a 6-disc playin music. No movies, no sirius. Plus, my last vehicle (90 Acura) couldn't play music for 20 minutes without killing the battery (which was brand new!).
Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Optima

Upgrade to a Optima Yellow Top. never have to buy another battery as long as you own it. you run the thing dead. and you can recharge it back up to 100%. i'm planning ao running two of them formy jeep. Planning and winch , and lots of lights. i've always usedOptima's in my Car audio setups with no problems. and they have a good warrente.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I somehow forgot and left keys in, radio on in mine the whole day when I was at work..no idea how that laps happened but it did....anywho...came back 14 hours later and it started right up. Left it running for about 15 mins and never had another problem...im bettin it was a bad battery.

Quick Reply: Jeep DOA