Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep JK sport 2014 wont start. TIPM issue?

Old 05-09-2018, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Jeep JK sport 2014 wont start. TIPM issue?

I was offroading and I conected the winch to use it and when I pushed the bottom tu pull, a short-circuit happened and the JK engine whent off. The jeep didn't start again. I tried to charge the batey, tested a new battery as well and nothing. The panel lights up but the jeep wont start. There is also a random craziness and clicking of all the realay inside and outside the fue box when I turn the key... the clicking can also keep happening after I take the key out. The winch gave an electoral shock to the Jeep and something happened. I tested the start realy and it is good. It clicks. All fuses are ok. A Chrysler expert came to my house and did a scan. He could no detecta more than low voltage. The randomn clicking of all the relays (that happens some times when I turn the key) suggests him that I have to replace the TIPM. Any ideas of the problem? which system can fail after the winch send a large discharge straight to the battery? Can be the solenoid?
Old 05-09-2018, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

It could be any number of things, but IMO start with the basics.
Make sure your +/- are all the way down on the post and tightened. I've had countless people have similar issues and it was just poor connection.
You can use a large socket and GENTLY tap the terminals all the way down on the post with a mallet.

Past that I'm not much help.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Joseto (05-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Hi Joseto

You can get another TIPM or have yours fixed. Type TIPMrepair into your search engine. The owner "Mak' has an excellent service and you can see videos if you type TIPM change etc into Youtube search field. It's all DIY if you're interested.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cybersonarbat
Hi Joseto

You can get another TIPM or have yours fixed. Type TIPMrepair into your search engine. The owner "Mak' has an excellent service and you can see videos if you type TIPM change etc into Youtube search field. It's all DIY if you're interested.
Thanks for the answer I checked the battery and reconected all. but nothing... I have some one comming on the 30th to check my JK TIPM board.

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had my 2008 TIPM replaced. I got power to the Jeep but no start. The techs also found that my Sears Platinum had a bad cell. Not sure what caused what...chicken or egg syndrome but I wound up replacing it with an Optima Red top. Hope this turns out well for you. A new tipm is around 450 bux. Good luck. PS I paid $200 for labor but I think it's an easy DIY.

Quick Reply: Jeep JK sport 2014 wont start. TIPM issue?