Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep Nav vs. TomTom, Garmin ...

Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Nav vs. TomTom, Garmin ...

I'm still few weeks from buying my Jeep...

It is worth it to pay extra $1500 for Nav system from Chrysler or should I buy something else from Garmin or TomTom for at least half of the price.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marcin
I'm still few weeks from buying my Jeep...

It is worth it to pay extra $1500 for Nav system from Chrysler or should I buy something else from Garmin or TomTom for at least half of the price.
It's not just a nav system, it's also a touch screen hard drive-based unit that can store music, pictures, and has a bunch of modding options for DVD playing while driving, etc. It's really nice looking and incorporates everything into one nice unit.

That being said, you can usually find one for sale for around $800.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mygig SUCKS!

In my opinion, no. It's the one thing I'm disappointed with on the Jeep.

The POI database sucks. It's fine if you're somewhere and you type in a basic search like show the closest restaurant to my current location. If you're trying to find something specific and don't know an exact address, you have about a 50/50 chance of finding what you're looking for. As an example, I was in the Jeep waiting for my wife at a shop across the street from a Home Depot. I did a search for the nearest home improvement center and the results said that the closest one was something like 60 miles away. This particular HD has been there for over 5 years, so I would think it should be in the system. Also, within about 10 miles from there in any given direction there are at least 3 each HD's & Lowe's.

The search method sucks. On my Garmin, you can type in part of a street name and hit search and it will show you anything with those letters (i.e.: type in Wood and then search and see in the state of PA you can choose Woodcrest St, Woodlawn Ave, Wood Rd., etc.) On the MOPAR system you hit a letter and it performs a search and eliminates letters that aren't a possible 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. option. The idea is to narrow down your choices, but it really just slows down the system. I've done the most recent software upgrades which sped the process up slightly but it's still pretty annoying to use.

My biggest complaint is how many features can't be used when the vehicle is in motion. Most times I need to navigate somewhere, I'm with my wife. She's supposed to be the navigator, but can't do her job because the Jeep is moving. I get the whole BS liability factor, but I get an annoying popup everytime the radio turns on about using the screen responsibly. They've done their job of warning me so just let me use my GPS.

Last, when trip planning with my Garmin, I can hook it up to a computer with a USB cable and use a POI loader to upload addresses straight from Google maps. If I want to upload multiple stopovers, etc. into my MOPAR unit, I have to write down the addresses and then manually type each one into the system.

As for all the other features like playing DVD's while moving, or using the monitor with a backup camera, you have to buy something called Lockpick which runs close to $300.00.

I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for some members for my opinions, but that's what they are and everyone's got one (at least). If I were you, I'd get the lower level Sirius radio and use the extra money to get a set of enhanced rock rails or the MOPAR off-road bumper.

Bill
Old 11-17-2009, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not about to pay $1500 for a warranteed new NAV RER, but sending $800 to an internet seller for an untested and possibly bogus or broken one also isn't an intelligent purchase. That leaves Garmin/TomTom, $300-500 for new and reliable NAV
Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

The MyGig nav is fairly decent, the trail recording feature is certainly handy and has saved me a good few times!

But I use it more for the music / video playback than an actual nav unit.
Is it worth it, depends on what you want out of your vehicle. One thing I could say to add to the debate, if you have a soft-top, or run topless often in dense populated places (or not even some times) an exposed screen in the dash is a tempting grab for those with questionable morals....
Old 11-17-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why dont you get the best of both worlds. Kenwood makes an in dash unit that give you Garmin Navigation(Way better than the others), DVD, XMstereo, XM Radar, you can put Topographical maps on it for wheeling, it also has ipod hookups, etc. Check out my gallery if you want to see pics.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Unfair
The MyGig nav is fairly decent, the trail recording feature is certainly handy and has saved me a good few times!

But I use it more for the music / video playback than an actual nav unit.
Is it worth it, depends on what you want out of your vehicle. One thing I could say to add to the debate, if you have a soft-top, or run topless often in dense populated places (or not even some times) an exposed screen in the dash is a tempting grab for those with questionable morals....
Originally Posted by Caljeep
I would go with the jeep Nav. I have a Garmin in my silverado, and I regret not getting factory Nav in my truck. Overall the jeep Nav is bad ass. YOu can store cds, mp3's, pictures and play dvd's. And the Nav has been on point for me in California.
Go with the factory nav

THX for the opinions, Yeaaahhh, why I was not think about fact I'm living in CA and I'm gonna need that gadget. But the most importuned is to find perfect gadget for you... Trail recording - that is sounds great, but other side not founding DIY store to buy a powerwasher to wash own Rubi - sucks.
But maybe this is one of few (hundredths) navi with some bug

Oooo... BTW... qzing01 you got a great dog
Old 11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good Garmin unit will also allow you to load topographical maps for backcountry use. Depending on the amount of wheeling you do, that may or may not be very useful to you.

The upside to the factory unit is that it integrates so well into the Jeep and has a big screen.

Quick Reply: Jeep Nav vs. TomTom, Garmin ...