Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JK Stock Radio Swap Question

Old 10-09-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Stock Radio Swap Question

I have a 2010 JK with the basic stock stereo...single disk....MP3 player. I was looking at picking up the 6 disk stock stereo on Ebay with the hands free Uconnect.

If I buy an upgraded (but still stock) JK stereo is it as simple as plug n play or is there way more to it? Any programming at a dealership or anything that would have to be done?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put the REQ 6-disc or the Mygig in no problem. No programming needed.

Bluetooth requires some dealer programming with the REQ only, you can turn Bluetooth on yourself if you het the Mygig.

Enjoy!

Oh yeah, if you want IPOD control you need a 2009 or newer radio.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure it comes with the uconnect hardware (mic and such). My REQ has uconnect but nothing connected or programmed for it. Was bummed about it but now going to swap it out for an aftermarket stereo. I was just surprised that just cause it says uconnect doesn't mean it has it.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I believe the only Chrysler Radio that comes with "Uconnect" built into it, is the MyGig "RER". All other radios you need to have the external Uconnect Module installed. All of them will need an External Microphone.

So in addition to the REQ 6 disc, you need the external Uconnect module and a microphone for Uconnect to work. It might be cheaper or close to the same price to just get a MyGig RER. I believe that Uconnect module is like $200+.

Quick Reply: JK Stock Radio Swap Question