Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JL Audio Stealthbox Question

Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkerr

I've seen some folks put the amps in the rear storage bin. I know two Alpine amps will fit there no problem. You just have to make stand-off legs that will level them out. The bottom of the bin is rounded on the edges. I didn't like having the amps so far from the battery, which is why I mounted them under the seat. Huge power lines has to be run to keep voltage drop to a minimum.
yeah that sounds better having it closer to the battery. do you have any problems under the seat?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski
nice video. i remember seeing it a long time ago. might have even commented on it. idk.
but anyways, i put my 5 channel amp in the rear storage bin, but thank god i took it out. water is my friend. and i get a lot of water in my jeep. no overheating problems while in there.
i put it on stands to keep off the bare metal, and put some shower liner around bottom to keep from any possible water problems.
i made a box to put on tailgate as temporary.if
i will be fiberglassing one up soon. that will house 10" sub, big ass amp, and some additional speakers (2 in whichever size i get)
i would put it under the seat, but again, water issues, i dont wanna deal with it.
how exactly does the water get in? just been wondering that because, I never really kept anything in there and wanted to make sure I knew before I decide to put it in there or not

Last edited by eastcoasting32; 05-23-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski

well i hate taking the top off and putting it back on the same day. and well....i learned from my mistake...
it poured on me 2 days in a row..3 inches of standing water in front. and about an inch in the storage compartment.

but, i do plan on forging through some high water, and with that, just better chance of it getting into trunk area.
haha now I know. I've read about multiple people saying that it can puddle up back there pretty quickly just haven't seen it happen myself.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eastcoasting32
yeah that sounds better having it closer to the battery. do you have any problems under the seat?
There is a lot of room under the front seats. I stacked two amps on top of each other under the passenger seat. I had to trim the seat rail a bit, but otherwise it was a perfect fit. Under seat mounting is the best place I found to install amps. It is hidden from view and an easy place to run wiring.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, tons of room. I have a huge 1500 amp under my front passenger seat. I have it covered a bit by my rear floor mat to keep it hidden and dry.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NH-JK
Ya, tons of room. I have a huge 1500 amp under my front passenger seat. I have it covered a bit by my rear floor mat to keep it hidden and dry.
I think that's what I'll do with mine. I just need to keep it out of peoples eyes especially with the doors off this summer.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

I KNOW NOBODY COMMENTED ON THIS THREAD FOR A WHILE, BUT I AM INTERESTED IN PUTTING A CUSTOM SYSTEM AND I WAS GUNNA JUST GET ONE MONSTER ALPINE AMP AND POWER 2 10'' SUBS IN A BOX BEHIND BACK SEAT AND THEN WIRE UP THE STOCK INTERIOR SPEAKERS TO 5 CHANNEL AMP....... WHAT IS YOUR GUYS TAKE IN THIS? DO YOU THINK IT WILL SOUND BETTER WITH THE JL STEALTHBOX??? I THINK ITS A SPACE SAVER AND IT LOOKS CLEAN BUT SOUND WISE , DOES IT HIT HARD? THANKS GUYS
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAT?

I think there's no doubt you can get much more more bass with a large box and multiple subs. The Stealthbox is designed to produce high quality bass while taking up nominal storage space and being, obviously, stealth.

Your box, assuming quality subs and amplification, would likely produce much more bass, but gives up any stealth elements and uses much more cargo space.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by arjeeper
WHAT?

I think there's no doubt you can get much more more bass with a large box and multiple subs. The Stealthbox is designed to produce high quality bass while taking up nominal storage space and being, obviously, stealth.

Your box, assuming quality subs and amplification, would likely produce much more bass, but gives up any stealth elements and uses much more cargo space.

thats what i thought .. okay and going with a box with 2 10 inch subs would be cheaper anyway... thanks for the input...i was thinking to do that mygig thing to get a backup camera on my navi and to play movies from my iphone/ipad.. but for the price of about 350 i think for another couple hundred to get a sick double din touchscreen alpine head unit/dvd/nav/blutooth/ etc... whats ur take on that
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John John
thats what i thought .. okay and going with a box with 2 10 inch subs would be cheaper anyway... thanks for the input...i was thinking to do that mygig thing to get a backup camera on my navi and to play movies from my iphone/ipad.. but for the price of about 350 i think for another couple hundred to get a sick double din touchscreen alpine head unit/dvd/nav/blutooth/ etc... whats ur take on that
A friend of mine just replaced his older factory Jeep Nav unit with an aftermarket kenwood unit and he loves it. Many more feature and also a sound quality improvement. Just depends on how much you want to keep the "factory" look.

Quick Reply: JL Audio Stealthbox Question