Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Just got these

Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just got these

And need to know the best cheap cheap toggle switch preferably fused that will not blow or cause a fire. They were free and obviously need to be refinished on the outside from all the pitting. All the Led's work and very very bright. Can't remember the brand name. Also need to find a way to mount them since I don't have a rack. The small ones are on a mount 2 each and the other one is a big bar.
Any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-744483183.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	325132   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1207518159.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	325133  
Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your light bar come with the stands and where you plan on mounting the bar , I mounted my 30" on the cowling area made my own brackets for it

Toggle switch for the light bar make sure it can handle 15 amps and above
Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

There was no stands just three little brackets that are on an adjustable track on the bottom of the light bar that are curved like to mount on a tube style roof rack.
Thanks for the info on the switch I wanted to make sure 30A would be enough
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Toggle switch for the light bar make sure it can handle 15 amps and above
Need to use a relay on loads greater than 5 Amps.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Need to use a relay on loads greater than 5 Amps.
You not need a relay you do need a fuse , if you had led light you would notice that none of them come with relays they have fuses , a relay and fuses both have there own application for use if you use KC , delta or anything halogen then you need a relay , led you can use fuses
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jaker t5
You not need a relay you do need a fuse , if you had led light you would notice that none of them come with relays they have fuses , a relay and fuses both have there own application for use if you use KC , delta or anything halogen then you need a relay , led you can use fuses
Fuse isn't debatable. You ALWAYS need a fuse.
What is the differance between 5 Amp current w/LED load. And 5 Amps current w/ any other load?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Fuse isn't debatable. You ALWAYS need a fuse.
What is the differance between 5 Amp current w/LED load. And 5 Amps current w/ any other load?
5 amps is 5 amps, that will never change if its 5 amps. The other factors are voltage, resistance, and wattage. The factor here would be the wattage. As LED's use very little wattage or power as some would call it, the demand from your battery will be alot less in a voltage sense haha. If you have halogen lights the wattage would be much greater. So look at what the amperage rating is on your lights and size your switch according to that, and your wire size as well.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I was thinking 14 gauge wire with an inline fuse just wanted to make sure I got switches that could handle the load. Didn't even remember that LED's use less than a halo. Now I just have to figure out where to mount them. Has anybody had any legal issues with the light bar not being covered if it is mounted above the level of the headlights. Or do I need to make some type of cover.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
I was thinking 14 gauge wire with an inline fuse just wanted to make sure I got switches that could handle the load. Didn't even remember that LED's use less than a halo. Now I just have to figure out where to mount them. Has anybody had any legal issues with the light bar not being covered if it is mounted above the level of the headlights. Or do I need to make some type of cover.
14 should be good, also remember you would have to use a bigger gauge on DC than you would on AC, but I think 14 should be good on 5 amps at 12 volts DC
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sean.Ellis
5 amps is 5 amps, that will never change if its 5 amps. The other factors are voltage, resistance, and wattage. The factor here would be the wattage. As LED's use very little wattage or power as some would call it, the demand from your battery will be alot less in a voltage sense haha. If you have halogen lights the wattage would be much greater. So look at what the amperage rating is on your lights and size your switch according to that, and your wire size as well.
Well I don't have the time to give you a lesson in Ohm's Law today. But 5 amps = 5 amps. Doesn't matter if the load is LED, Incd. Hollegen or resistive ( heating element ).

Quick Reply: Just got these