Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Just Ordered a GoPro Motor Sports...

Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 616fun
I haven't used a GoPro Jeeping - but I do use one scuba diving. I have taken it to 150' without issue.

All of this was shot with the GoPro. Bottom was about 135'. There was a 14' tiger shark circling the wreck but I couldn't get a shot of her because she stayed just out of the camera range. My eyes could see her and made my butt pucker!!:
http://www.vimeo.com/26943177

Here is the 150' dive. It was in northern Lake Huron in July:
https://www.facebook.com/video/video...d=118187267906
Have you looked into a flat lens case for your GoPro? They seem to be really popular with divers to fix the image distortion caused by the wide angle lens. The is a number of videos comparing the various lenses on Youtube. I also saw a couple with filters which seemed to make the image a little crisper.

I wish I had some diving equipment. I did a lot of free diving in the past, but most of the lakes around here are too cloudy to see anything.

I love seeing everyone GoPro videos. Life seems so much more adventurous.

This one is not mine, but it is pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k
Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mixilpidilstick
Thank you. Most of the video was shot using the flat sticky buckle mounts. I have several stuck to discreet locations on the Jeep. I have used the suction cup mount on the windshield too. I noticed in your videos the suction cup on the hood picked up a lot of vibration. It's a shame because the perspective was really cool with the Jeep bra. You might try some image stabilization software, if you haven't already.

Thanks. I am really new to the whole video thing. Including these two videos, I have made two! The first video I used Windows LIVE Movie Maker that is included with Windows 7. It's actually pretty good for free. The second video I used Sony Vegas Platinum Studio 11. It's a lot more feature rich. I used trials of Avid Studio, Cyberlink PowerDirector, Sony Vegas, and Adobe Premiere. I also consulted with a professional video editor. The end result being Sony Vegas was the best fit (Price/Performance/Features) for me.
Anyone mounted the camera to the lower center of the windshield? I want to also mount it on my brush bar between my KC's. I know a couple of people who have mounted them on the undercarriage but rocks have taken their toll on some of them
Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love my gopro! I just got a Pioneer P2300 DVD head unit and you can hook up your gopro and watch Live footage straight to your head unit!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bubbacon
Anyone mounted the camera to the lower center of the windshield? I want to also mount it on my brush bar between my KC's. I know a couple of people who have mounted them on the undercarriage but rocks have taken their toll on some of them
I tried it, but like the hood it bounced too much. Would need the adhesive mount instead if the suction cup since it'd reduce the needed parts and movement.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been meaning to take some photos of my mounting locations for a while now. since it was raining I didn't feel like getting my good camera out. So you get crappy iPhone photo.

The first one is attached to a Poison Spyder hawse fairlead light mount. (Flat adhisive mount)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050[1].jpg
Views:	120
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	208487
The second I put on the A-Pillar windshield hinge cover thing... (Flat adhisive mount)

Name:	IMG_0048[1].jpg
Views:	112
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	208488
The third was tricky. I spent some time trying to find a safe location for it. It is behind the Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper on the drivers side. I don't know if this location would work with other bumpers. It is very well protected, just not as easy to get to as the others. (Flat adhisive mount)

Name:	IMG_0049[1].jpg
Views:	107
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	208489
The fourth and fifth are under the loops that the soft top / freedom panels latch too. I too the visors off when I used them, but they should work with the top on and the visors installed. There is one on each side. (Curved adhisive mount)

Name:	IMG_0051[1].jpg
Views:	111
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	208490
Old 09-08-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

I have been meaning to take some photos of my mounting locations for a while now. since it was raining I didn't feel like getting my good camera out. So you get crappy iPhone photo.

The first one is attached to a Poison Spyder hawse fairlead light mount. (Flat adhisive mount)
Attachment 208487
The second I put on the A-Pillar windshield hinge cover thing... (Flat adhisive mount)
Attachment 208488
The third was tricky. I spent some time trying to find a safe location for it. It is behind the Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper on the drivers side. I don't know if this location would work with other bumpers. It is very well protected, just not as easy to get to as the others. (Flat adhisive mount)
Attachment 208489
The fourth and fifth are under the loops that the soft top / freedom panels latch too. I too the visors off when I used them, but they should work with the top on and the visors installed. There is one on each side. (Curved adhisive mount)
Attachment 208490

Cool - Dude, I drive by you every day (I work in Warsaw, live in "The Fort")
Old 09-08-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

This one is not mine, but it is pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k
That is freakin CRAZY. Awesome video!! Unbelievable!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

I mount mine on the dashboard just behind the storage cubby thing. I'd like to mount one on the front bumper and underneath somewhere, but I haven't yet worked up the balls to mount my $380 camera someplace I might loose it. Only problems I've had are the files are so big I can't upload them to certain sites, and certain other sites (facebook and photobucket) won't let me upload them because I added tunes. Stupid copywrite laws!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubichronic
I mount mine on the dashboard just behind the storage cubby thing. I'd like to mount one on the front bumper and underneath somewhere, but I haven't yet worked up the balls to mount my $380 camera someplace I might loose it. Only problems I've had are the files are so big I can't upload them to certain sites, and certain other sites (facebook and photobucket) won't let me upload them because I added tunes. Stupid copywrite laws!
I looked on your profile to see if you were talking about the Daystar upper dash panel. I noticed you have "wife" listed under accessories. Too funny.

Since you are still running the stock front bumper your best option may be to attach it to one of the tow hooks. You could probably just put one of the sticky mounts right on that. Also, you could probably use a beam clamp to attach to the tow hook so the whole mount is removable.

$380? Did you buy the LCD back for it? If so, do you like it?

As for the file size and copyright stuff, that is why I have been using youtube. How big are your edited files?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked on your profile to see if you were talking about the Daystar upper dash panel. I noticed you have "wife" listed under accessories. Too funny.

Since you are still running the stock front bumper your best option may be to attach it to one of the tow hooks. You could probably just put one of the sticky mounts right on that. Also, you could probably use a beam clamp to attach to the tow hook so the whole mount is removable.

$380? Did you buy the LCD back for it? If so, do you like it?

As for the file size and copyright stuff, that is why I have been using youtube. How big are your edited files?
Lcd back is the way to go. its tough to get the right angle on a shot without it. instead of just guessing where your filming its more accurate and better footage.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered a GoPro Motor Sports...