Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

KC HiLiTES NEW 7" LED's competition

Old 02-22-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

I doubt they put out any more heat than the trucklites..
This. Additionally there are heated TL's
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like em....
Pretty sure this is what i will be using to replace my headlamps. Nice warranty also. havent had any issues with my KC driving lights either. Ive been running them for almost 4 years and no problems.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
This. Additionally there are heated TL's
Do you have a link for the heated TL's... Looked everywhere including the TL web site... Nothing heated!

The OE lights freeze over from time to time on me if conditions are right, making for down right dangerous driving!
If ANY aftermarket company offered a heated light that would actually keep the ice off, I would be all over them regardless of cost! Until then though, I wont touch them.

I'm a DICK! Dont like it? Skip this post!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D!CKS GARAGE
Do you have a link for the heated TL's... Looked everywhere including the TL web site... Nothing heated! The OE lights freeze over from time to time on me if conditions are right, making for down right dangerous driving! If ANY aftermarket company offered a heated light that would actually keep the ice off, I would be all over them regardless of cost! Until then though, I wont touch them. I'm a DICK! Dont like it? Skip this post!
they are off-road warehouse. U won't find them on truck lite website because they don't sell them. The modification is done by off-road warehouse. They cut the ends off and replace them to be direct replacement
Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Trying to decide on Trucklites vs KC. I live in Dallas so no real backroads with no lights. I currently have D2's on A-pillar and 10" SR bar on my hood. When necessary this combo is more than plenty to see down a dark street or road. TL's look way better to me in daylight, but sounds like the KC's might be slightly better at night. I'm not even sure if I need either actually and I probably will wait until fall or winter to buy since I very rarely drive after dark during the summer. Did TL ever fix everyones issues??

Last edited by DallasJKU; 05-22-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had truck lites for 6 months or so now. The x pattern thing is so overblown that its down right silly. the only time I see it is when im pulling up to my garage door, or behind someone at a stop light. other than that you DONT see it. the TL has a great even spread across the road on both low and high. This is the reason I bought them. wide bright beam. the KC is a spot light in a headlight housing. If you can't see to the sides of the road with your basic low beams then they are not a good design. I have HID hella driving beams for seeing up the road and to the sides on the dark highways at night. but for when traffic is coming towards me I still have great side illumination to keep an eye on the multitude of animals we have here. HUGE moose like Alaska is normal. you hit one and your car or truck opens like a sardine can from the windshield back....DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW!....that is the reason im a light junky. You hit one moose, because of shit light, you wont' hit another.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack
I have had truck lites for 6 months or so now. The x pattern thing is so overblown that its down right silly. the only time I see it is when im pulling up to my garage door, or behind someone at a stop light. other than that you DONT see it. the TL has a great even spread across the road on both low and high. This is the reason I bought them. wide bright beam. the KC is a spot light in a headlight housing. If you can't see to the sides of the road with your basic low beams then they are not a good design. I have HID hella driving beams for seeing up the road and to the sides on the dark highways at night. but for when traffic is coming towards me I still have great side illumination to keep an eye on the multitude of animals we have here. HUGE moose like Alaska is normal. you hit one and your car or truck opens like a sardine can from the windshield back....DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW!....that is the reason im a light junky. You hit one moose, because of shit light, you wont' hit another.
I agree I love my truck lights and never see the x pattern either until I'm right behind someone and live seeing the ditches
Old 05-23-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Is this a fact you know or can you point out where it can be referenced? or is this an educated guess?

I've seen patters of both and they look similar (to me) in spread and beam.. although not in the conditions you experience. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RodCyn
Is this a fact you know or can you point out where it can be referenced? or is this an educated guess?

I've seen patters of both and they look similar (to me) in spread and beam.. although not in the conditions you experience. Thanks.
Sorry, I meant to say MORE LIKE a spot light. there is a big hot spot with not as much spread of even light compared to the TL headlight. My Hellas act like the KC. Driving light beam. The truck light has a definitive cut off for proper head light beams.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every headlight, LED or non-LED, has some hotspots.

Both KC and JWSpeaker have prominent hotspots.
TruckLite have the smallest hotspots -- those small 'x's.
Other than that, the TL spread is wide (wider than KC or JW, so you see more to either side of the road or trail), and the cut-off is very straight and horizontal. This allows aiming the whole wide light spread a bit higher that with KC or JW, as there's no large hotspot above the cutoff line to blind on-coming traffic.
The high beams are a joy.

KC vs TruckLite - LOW beam:
Notice the KC spot-like pattern and narrower spread.
Also notice the TL two little 'V' hotspotss, which some poeple find so annoying... vs the KC large & truly disturbing hotspot.
Click image for larger version

Name:	KC vs TruckLite - LOW beam - JPEG.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	555088

KC vs TruckLite -- HIGH beam:
The KC's high beam is even more spot-like than its low beam.

Name:	KC vs TruckLite - HIGH beam - JPEG.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	555089

Another pic of the KC light spread -- a mix of hot and dark spots:
Stronger light than the stock Jeep headlights, but as bad in terms of uneven spread.

Name:	KC - LED - Hot Spot.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	555102

Last edited by GJeep; 05-23-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: KC HiLiTES NEW 7" LED's competition