Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kc led install

Old 10-17-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kc led install

Can someone that installed the KC LED's help answer a question. I installed these tonight but they just don't seem to fit right. They don't seem to mount flush into the plastic housing like the stock ones. There are 3 little tabs on the KC and it appears as if the stock lights only had one tab that slid into the housing. The KC tabs kinda hit the outter edge of the housing unit if this makes sense. I was able to mount them and tighten them down but the patter seems off. All of the light seems to be concentrated to the right. So does seem right??
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are some photos. They seem to stick out quite a bit as well. They are mounted solid in there so I'm not sure if this is right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2472491688.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	580256   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-443658235.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	580257   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2345565821.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	580258  
Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

No this does not sound right at all.

First of all there should be 3 little cut out things on your factory plastic light mount rings. The KC's will have also have three bumps that stick out and will sort of fit into the cut out places.
The sticking out and looking kind of funny at first is normal. The beam pattern being off is also kind of normal in my opinion as these lights are not the same as the factory bulbs at all.

I highly recommend getting an extra adjusting bolt from your dealer or favorite Mopar parts dealer.
You want part number 1-55078114AA
This extra bolt fits into stand off on your mount ring right behind the cut out on your grill is. Notice how there is an extra groove for an adjustment screw? yeah well Mopar was too F-ing cheap to include an adjustment screw in this location. It is a pretty easy thing to add. First you will have to get the plastic ring to disconnect from the current stand off thing.
I used a small screwdriver and sort of picked at the three little lock tabs while pulling outwards. it did not take much force and if you work around the three tabs all of a sudden it will un clip. Remove this one stand off and discard. The new adjustment screw will now screw right into place. This will allow you the side to side adjustment you need.

Hey I know reference this thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...8/#post3832638

Thanks to rsmeanie for that little find.

This will allow you to now adjust the beam pattern side to side. Mine was way off for the KC's.

I love these lights. I do not care what anybody else says about Truck lights being better blah blah blah. Whatever these suckers will sear your eyeballs out.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did see the three tabs however, if this makes sense, the KC seem to have "round" tabs and the stock housing seem to be square so they won't quite push all the way in flush. I did read that thread all the way through and was a bit confused as to wether the housing unit that the headlight goes into has to be removed or if the pegs just pull out. I might just take it to the dealer and have them try to adjust them right. But man are they bright!!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed mine yesterday as well. Mine also didn't sit completely flush but the tabs all seemed to line up. I mounted the trim ring and all is well in my opinion. However as far as the horizontal adjustment screw goes why isn't it there already! My passenger side is ok but the drivers side is way off. It's almost like the light is out. So much for plug and play
Old 10-18-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hoghd06
I installed mine yesterday as well. Mine also didn't sit completely flush but the tabs all seemed to line up. I mounted the trim ring and all is well in my opinion. However as far as the horizontal adjustment screw goes why isn't it there already! My passenger side is ok but the drivers side is way off. It's almost like the light is out. So much for plug and play
Yes exactly!! So are you going to try the horizontal adjusters or just live with it?
Old 10-18-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually I just called the dealer and ordered them. There's no way I can live with it being out like that. I first checked online and everyone wanted like $23 for shipping so I called the dealer and they're going to have them for me on Tuesday. I think he said they're $2.25 a piece. If this is a known issue though you would think that KC would provide the screws since they're so cheap
Old 10-18-2014, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just did the same but am still a bit confused as to how to install them. I've seen one thread where they said you had to remove the entire plastic housing and another that said just take the small peg out. I won't be able to get this done until next weekend. If you put these in could you pm me and let me know how it went? I'd be very grateful.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not quite sure how to install either or how to adjust. Was gonna figure it out when I had them in my hand. I'll be sure to let you know How it goes. I think getting them adjusted right Will be the hardest part installing to screw should be easy
Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hoghd06
I'm not quite sure how to install either or how to adjust. Was gonna figure it out when I had them in my hand. I'll be sure to let you know How it goes. I think getting them adjusted right Will be the hardest part installing to screw should be easy
It's funny because the brights look awesome but the lows are just like yours. Real bright on the pass side but almost nothing on drivers side. I'm thinking the drivers side will need to be adjusted to the left quite a bit to get to separate beams.

Quick Reply: Kc led install