Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

KC Lights Switch

Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KC Lights Switch

I'm looking to install the switch to my KC Lights under my dash below the steering wheel.

I am going to be in need of a 12v source for the switch.
Can anyone tell me the best wire to splice in to under there. Also possibly the colour of the wire as well?

Thanks very much!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 AM
JK Super Freak

You are better off pulling one from a spare terminal in the fuse box (TIPM) in the engine compartment running along the harness on the firewall thru the rubber plug above the power brake booster. The best place to mount the switch is where the factory mounts the rubicon switches on the left lower part of the dash. Easy access to it and theres room behind for the switch. Another if you don't want to drill the dash is the Lt A Pillar trim. Just pull it off to see the areas behind it before drilling your hole. You can also get the daystar A pillar trim with room for four switches ($30.00). I had this before going with an SPOD. God luck and have fun just keep the wiring neat.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

Did not quite understand all of that.
I have already ran all the wiring from the lights on my bull bar under the hood through the rubber grommet I believe near the brake booster (I don't remember because I ran these at the beginning of the summer).
I have the 3 or 4 wires sitting/laying under the carpet right now under my brake pedal.

Are you saying there is a fuse panel located in the Jeep or were you telling me to hook up the 12v to the fuse panel under the hood?
Then run the wiring for the switch itself into the Jeep?

Also wanted to put the switch down in that bottom middle area where all the other buttons are, but I really have not figured out how to get in there yet and I didn't feel like hassling with it.
Is it really easy to do with out pulling the entire dash apart? Putting it there would be optimal, not to mention I could just take the 12v source from the cup holder lights.

I also don't own the Rubi. I have the regular Sport. Dunno if that makes a whole lot of difference.

Last edited by Psywar; 09-05-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Did you use the KC Harness? If so there is a white wire that is the power to the switch it can be hooked the battery or another 12v source. You can find a unused 1/4" terminal on the fuse box to power this also. Then you should have the two wires I believe green and white going to the switch. There is also a short brown wire for a ground on the switch to illuminate the switch on light. As for putting in with you dash switches in front of the shifter those are part of a circuit board and would be difficult to add a switch to. That's why I recommended the alternative mounting locations. The dash is easy to access by pulling off the end cap on the side of the dash and you'll see the void behind it.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

So I went out side before I read your second post and I was looking at my directions.
I already had everything installed and wired up properly.
I completely forgot I did all that.

This summer I installed a Q9000 winch and I added the KC Lights.
Well when I did the wiring / fuse job for the Winch I also went ahead an wired up and loomed all the wiring for the KC Lights as well.
All I needed to do was add a ground wire somewhere for the switch.

So I mounted my Switch right under my steering wheel it looks super nice and I hooked up all the wires to the switch and the LED light did not turn on..
I was like $%^$&$!!!!!

So I went in my electronics drawer and grabbed another switch just to be sure it was the switch and not my wiring and sure enough my the switch my KC Lights came with does not work.
So I am going to email the company and see if they will send me a replacement switch. I wouldn't bother with it, but I installed the KC Box thing that the switch fits inside and I don't want to remove it cuz it will leave a couple large holes under my steering wheel lol!

Quick Reply: KC Lights Switch