Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kenwood 6140..who has one.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood 6140..who has one.

I have installed the KW6140 without many probs...however!!! There is always a however...the dimmer function is inop..will volt meter it when I can, but in the meantime has anyone else installed a KW and found any cool hidden features????
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a DDX-8120 and it is weird. You have to set the dimmer in the menus. After doing that you have to set how the dimmer responds. I think there were three settings. OFF: Do nothing. ON: Always dim at the level set in the menu. SYNC: Dim when lights are on, bright when lights are off.

Even if you set it to SYNC at first the radio will not dim. That is because the setting of where it should be when dimmed is the same as when it shouldn't be dimmed. You have to go in and seperately specify the "dim" level.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks....you seem to be onto something here. It works as you have stated..however....I can't find another screen to manuually set the dimmer. I have the on,off,sync and navsync buttons...but that is it. Is there another sub menu you have found???
Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

I just called KW....no luck...he claims you can't even manipulate your 8120.......
Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

i had this issue. it has to do with one of the locked menus. either hold down source to get into standby menu or unconnect the ground and the light wire leave off for about 5 minutes. reconnect and go to menu
Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course these things happen when I am on travel and away from my Jeep. I downloaded the DDX-8120 manual and found my menus. Yours may be different.

It is under Monitor Setup. Brightness, Contrast, and Black Level are there along with the Dim Mode mentioned earlier. Turn your lights off. Press the OFF utton. Set the levels for the display for daytime driving. Turn the lights on. Press the ON Button on the screen. Set the display for how you want it at night. Now turn off the headlights. Press SYNC then exit the menu. Now the display should dim and brighten with the headlights.

The buttons are kind of dual purpose. You can use them to permanently set the display brightness. On = Dim. Off = Daytime bright. However, from the factory the On parameters and Off parameters are the same.

This is how to set a DDX-8120. Good Luck and let us know. Does your display tilt? It is kind of the same odd setup but in a different way.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

uugghhh...won't let me adjust anything. Anyway..screen doesn't tilt, I have kept speakers and all factory, it sounds much better and this unit is wayyyyy adjustable as far as everything except the dimmer control. I was ready to let it go, but you described the prob to a T. I suppose I may have to cut up my solder job and try the disconnect trick.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

OK...I have become a non master at this unit. If anyone wants to buy a Kenwood product I give it 2 thumbs up. Thanks Vernnz

Last edited by patmad; 08-13-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Kenwood 6140..who has one.