Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED Help Needed

Old 04-02-2010, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDavisJK
Well, it defeats one of the purposes of LEDs, which is to save power. But it doesn't defeat the fact that they are safer by being brighter and lighting up quicker than normal bulbs. And they still last much longer than normal bulbs. So, using resistors is a bummer, but the benefits are still greater than the costs for me.
Did you try capacitors instead of resistors?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
I wasn't aware that this was possible. I had a hard enough time getting the correct resistors. Will a capacitor give the correct impedance but not continuously draw more power?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CDavisJK
I wasn't aware that this was possible. I had a hard enough time getting the correct resistors. Will a capacitor give the correct impedance but not continuously draw more power?
It should if you pick the right one --- without the concomitant heat too.
Easier to play mad scientist on a bench than on your rig...
Old 04-03-2010, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilldweller

umm, capacitors store and release energy so the point of blinking would not work it will charge when light is on and release when the flasher is off so the light would stay on. i also don't think they have a high resistave value
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hiddenprey
umm, capacitors store and release energy so the point of blinking would not work it will charge when light is on and release when the flasher is off so the light would stay on. i also don't think they have a high resistave value
I think I see where he is going with the Caps... you can change the rate of the flash by taking a moment to charge a cap, let it release, charge again, etc. I am not sure about what kind of and how many to use to emulate the load you need for teh 12V. I would get one of those kits from radio shack and that allows you to plug and play with this stuff all day.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dealt with this on a bike find the proper resistor and solder it in you should be good to go. Find a dual color LED unit and ensure the resistor is plugged into the blinker side and it should work. I would call M. D. wright 800-980-3517 they do alot for motorcycles for the same type of idea you want. They may be able to build it with the resistor in it for you. Thier products are outstanding.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
I think I see where he is going with the Caps... you can change the rate of the flash by taking a moment to charge a cap, let it release, charge again, etc. I am not sure about what kind of and how many to use to emulate the load you need for teh 12V. I would get one of those kits from radio shack and that allows you to plug and play with this stuff all day.
That's it.
I probably have the right ones here in the lab; I just have too many gee-gaws going on right now to put any more junk on my bench.
The store room is like a black hole; it has it's own gravity field and none return...

Quick Reply: LED Help Needed