Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lighting Question--NEED HELP

Old 05-28-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Question--NEED HELP

Ok sorry, but this pertains to my JK only is as much as I tow my JK with my Mortorhome, and the problem is on the motorhome and was discovered while towing the JK.

I have no brake lights on the motorhome, except for the little center brake light. This is a class C Ford E450 chassis. Here is the wiring diragram.

winnebagoind.com/diagram/2001/134998.pdf

Bulbs have all been replaced, and fuses checked. new problem.

Turn signals, backup lights, clearance lights, all work correctly.

On the wiring diagram, it looks like there should be continuity between sll the brake light fixtures, but there is only between the tail light fixtures, and NOT to the center brake light. it is almost as though a wire was cut, but the wiring all goes into the back wall of the motorhome and it is not accessable to see, only the main plug. At the plug, all seems to be working correctly, just no power/continuity going to the brake light socket and the brake light circuit. Again, only to the center brake light.

Can a faulty turn signal switch be the culprit? Doesn't sound like a ground problem.

there are no diodes in the wiring diagram, but could there be a bad one somewhere I don't know about?

I know there are some experts here, and I need your help.

Last edited by JackMac4; 05-28-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you experiencing this problem only when towing the JK? In other words, if the lights work correctly until you attach the wiring harness to the JK, it could be a diode installed backwards on the JK (if you used diodes). If the problem exists regardless of the tow vehicle, you may have lost a ground between the brake light socket and the chassis. On my motorhome, it has a fiberglass rear cap that the light unit is mounted in. The brake light socket on one side has to be grounded in order to maintain continuity. I figured this out when I replaced my tail lights with LED replacements a couple of years ago. I had failed to re-attach a ground wire to the chassis and I had no lights until I did. Obviously, yours may be completely different, but this may give you some food for thought.

David
Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you checked the brake light switch?

Quick Reply: Lighting Question--NEED HELP