Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Limp mode. TIPM replacement did not help, any suggestions? Trying to avoid dealership

Old 12-24-2022, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode. TIPM replacement did not help, any suggestions? Trying to avoid dealership

• Vehicle: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
  • Mileage: 91k
  • Symptoms
    • When shifting out of Park
      • Lurches forward/backward with significant force
    • Limp mode
      • Will not shift out of 1st or 2nd gear
      • When selector is in Drive and I push to right (to see which gear it is in, or shift up/down “manually”), nothing happens
      • Occasionally when I’m driving it around town to troubleshoot it will all of a sudden start shifting like normal again
    • Blinking defroster light
      • When first starting, lasts ~15 seconds
  • Engine codes
    • In early December, Jeep was running fine but engine codes popped up. I cleared them and these specific ones did not return to my knowledge. Maybe not related?
      • P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfier
      • U0414: Implausible Data Received From FDCM (had 3 of these)
    • Second week of December limp mode started, so I immediately took it to my local shop (non-dealer)
      • They said TIPM was bad and I need to replace. Might also have other transmission problems, but wouldn’t know until TIPM fixed. Quoted ~$1500.
      • They told me codes they pulled were: C1405 (transmission code), B1630, B1620, B1638, B1634 (all power loss codes)
    • Second-third week of December
      • I’ve tried doing my own troubleshooting. When I do the “on-off” 3x trick to get engine codes on dashboard, nothing shows.
      • When I go to another auto parts and borrow their scanner, now I usually only get U0414 codes.
  • Repairs attempted
    • I purchased a rebuilt TIPM from Maks (HOME) and have installed it. Did not fix any of the issues.
      • Have not had a chance to pull codes with a scanner, but the “on/off” 3x trick still shows no codes, yet engine light is definitely on.

Last edited by dronshaw; 12-24-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-25-2022, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumping thread
Old 12-25-2022, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. With what you have replaced, and the trans code and others, (i did not look up what they are signifying); you could be experiencing a trans issue - just an opin.

Quick Reply: Limp mode. TIPM replacement did not help, any suggestions? Trying to avoid dealership