Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

In line winch switch

Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In line winch switch

I'm thinking about putting a blue sea in line switch on my winch. Does anyone have a picture where they mounted a kill switch in the engine bay? I don't wanna run something into the cabin and get involved with relays.. The kill switch is pretty straight forward--just put in line somewhere on the hot wire pretty close to battery..right? Where are people mounting the switch?

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-27-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think you want to run the power needed for your winch thru a switch. it would have to be one bad ass switch to handle that load. if you need a switch, do yourself a favor and use a relay. what do you need a kill switch for anyway? maybe just put in a circuit breaker. that'll do it.

Last edited by pickjones; 07-27-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Warn power interrupt kit and my switch runs off a S-Pod into the cab.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm not exactly sure why you feel you have a need for a kill switch but I'll throw my suggestion out there.

With my winch I purchased a wireless controller. Mostly so I can stand clear of the danger zone. However, if I need a button/switch inside, the wireless remote will work from there also. My kill switch is to just release the button. The remote has 2 buttons, IN and OUT. Press and hold the button, let go when you want to stop.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

Kill switch has simple roots- my solenoid got stuck in the 'on' position and it sucked the winch line in and torqued the whole winch body before I was able to pull the power cable off.

Sent from my Droid4 and Jkfreaks.com
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

This is the only inline switch I found that can handle the winch load, 500 continuous amps 5000 amp surge on a 12 volt system.

http://www.wirthco.com/battery-switc...-515-l-en.html

Quick Reply: In line winch switch