Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lux Rock Lights

Old 07-03-2021, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Lux Rock Lights

Just a quick post on my Lux Rock lights install.

I know there is the occasional mention of these lights on the forum, but nothing with photos.

NOTE: one or two of the photos in this post have also been posted on other threads - but not in connection with this install.

I chose the Lux Rock lights for a few reasons:

1. Blindingly bright
2. Impervious to moisture (yep - you can submerge these suckers - no worries)
3. Ease of mounting (although as per usual, I made it tough for myself - lol ...)

As mentioned, these lights are super bright, and are set in what appears to be some type of polymer (really, really hard stuff that completely seals the light)), They also have stupid powerful Rare Earth magnets set into the back of them for mounting. The magnets make the install super easy, but more importantly for those of us who tend to scrape and slide over things - these lights will move before they are sheared off. Having said that, the magnets hold the lights well enough to withstand my power washer at point blank range ....

Although Lux offers the option of RGB lights, I chose the single color 'Bright White' on the 10ft lead - as I am using these exclusively for rock lights, not accent lighting ...

I am using my SPod to activate these lights, and wherever possible, cables were threaded inside the frame rails for protection and neatness.

I am using a total of 14 lights:

1. Two mounted on each side
2. Two mounted under the front bumper
3. Two mounted under the back bumper
4. one in each wheel well
5. Two mounted underneath the middle of the truck

So this is the way they look - fully enclosed on a 10ft double insulated lead.

Here is a look at the back of the light showing the magnets

Instead of running one 'main' cable down each side of the JK and connecting the peripheral lights to them - I chose instead to run each light's cable to a junction box that I located on the passenger side by the battery. From the junction box I ran the POS and NEG cables to my SPod on the driver's side.
Yeah, I realize this sounds kinda idiotic - but there just wasn't any available space for the junction box on the driver's side due to the SPod and ARB compressor taking up all the available room

This is how I mounted the light in the rear wheel-wells - I ran the cable through the Poison Spyder inner wheel-well (using a grommet) and the light's magnets held it in place.

Here are the two rear lights underneath the rear bumper - on either side of my muffler skid plate

The two lights on either side of the truck are mounted close to the frame rail, on the slider.

The two lights up front are mounted to the front skid plate / bumper (this is a crappy photo - it is just to the left of those two bolts in the center of the photo)

And finally a few photos of the lights at night time

Best,
Neville

Last edited by Creepy Neville; 07-04-2021 at 06:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Creepy Neville:
Jay2013jk (07-24-2021), resharp001 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks great!

We used LUX on the wife's Jeep a couple of years ago and they've held up really well.
At that time they had a premeasured 8 light string and 4 light (wheel well) string, we used both and only had 2 wires to plug into the sPod knockoff. I wish they still had that.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Holy .....

Awesome Photo BB !!

Oh, and the Jeep looks good too !!

Best,

Neville
The following users liked this post:
BlueBaby (07-23-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks for the review. I have a overnight wheeling event coming up and was looking for some rock lights. The magnetic mounts are a big plus.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I was a little skeptical at first that the lights would not be bright enough (for their size) or that the magnets would not be strong enough to hold the lights in place on the trail.

I can assure you though, unless you scrape your truck over a rock - the light will stay put. Having said that, if you do find yourself scraping over an obstacle - these lights will just get pushed out of the way instead of being crushed.

A big plus for me is the waterproof-ness - living on the West Coast (Vancouver) gear has to be water tight - these LED's look to be assembled, then set in a polymer mold. I actually pulled one of the lights off my front bumper and stuck it into a filled water bottle for 5 minutes - no effect on the light.

A couple points of note however:

1. These lights have to mounted on metal - for heat dissipation.

2. Customer Service is sketchy .....
I think the pandemic messed with Lux - they were a pretty small outfit before Covid, and now they are bare bones. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner was running the operation all by himself now - ergo it can be tough to get a hold of them (by any means) - although not impossible.
I would be inclined to purchase from a dealer rather than the Lux itself - let them deal with the manufacturer.

All things considered, at the end of the day - these lights are the tits !!

Neville

Last edited by Creepy Neville; 07-26-2021 at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Lux Rock Lights