Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Major Electrical Glitch - Bogus Warnings and Spontaneous Engine Kill

Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Electrical Glitch - Bogus Warnings and Spontaneous Engine Kill

I have a 2010 JK Rubi (auto w/ Mygig), completely stock except for IPF plug-and-play headlights and PIAA off road lights (2) - (wired directly to the battery terminals with the on/off switch wired directly to the positive terminal - not legal, I know, but it works).

Here's the timeline:
1. When I first got the car, once every couple weeks I'd hop on the freeway and find that the transmission would not go into 4rd gear - it would completely redline at 45-50 mph and I'd have to pull over, shut off the ignition and start back up and it would work just fine.

2. Once in a while, on the street in 2wd, I'd randomly get a "bing" and see the sway bar disco light come on for a few seconds. No change in handling, no sounds to indicate anything happening with the sway bar. Sometimes this would include the ESP light, or sometimes a few more lights.

3. Lately, I've been getting just a "bing" with no indicator lights coming on once in a while.

4. Here's the kicker: Right before a long drive to the desert, I reset the oil change light successfully as it was a bogus warning and I assume jiffy lube forgot to do so since I recently got an oil change. A few days into the trip, I'm on the trail heading home and suddenly I get a "bing", nearly every indicator light comes on, and the engine dies, along with all other electronics. I then hear 3 quiet knocks similar to the sound of a bouncing antenna hitting the vehicle. This happened while at a stop. The engine started up again just fine and I kept going.

5. 15 miles later down the trail, I come to a stop to assess a downhill approach and the same thing happens. She starts up again no problem.

6. For the rest of the drive, I notice the external temp indicator is reading 10 degrees higher than it should. Once off the trail and on the highway, I pull over, turn off the car, and open the door to fully shut off all indicator lights, etc. I turn the ignition back on, the lights come on, but the engine doesn't crank. I just get a sad little squeak out of the engine. I wait a few more seconds, she starts up fine and I keep going.

7. 120 mile drive home goes fine. The next day, I take a short trip, and at a stop light, the engine dies, fails to restart, then starts on the second attempt.

Please note: the engine kill seems to only happen when at a complete stop (luckily), and I did not run my off road lights the entire trip at all.

I am most definitely planning to take the car in this week, but would like any input you all may have on this. I'm hoping I just need a firmware reset.

My other question is, should I remove my off road lights and all signs that I installed them prior to taking it in for warranty work? I'd hate to have them pull any BS and try to pin this on me somehow.

Thanks!

- Dave
Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty?

You paid good money for what should be a good jeep. I would have it towed to a dealer. Your covered under the warranty and make them give you a rental.

Good luck and a free bump!

Quick Reply: Major Electrical Glitch - Bogus Warnings and Spontaneous Engine Kill