Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Making my JK sound like my TJ did?

Old 03-09-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my JK sound like my TJ did?

I've been driving a '98 Sahara for almost a decade now, but sadly the time has come to trade it.

Yesterday, I put a deposit on a used '07 X (about 9,000 miles on it) that has every option I would have ordered from the factory... except the upgraded stereo. From what I can tell, people aren't that happy with the upgraded stereo anyway-- maybe this was a blessing in disguise!

My TJ had the 7-speaker option that included an 8-inch add-a-trunk style powered woofer--- and though the plastic housing on the sub sometimes rattled like crazy, the whole system really sounded GREAT: Powerful treble and just enough bass.

I would love to upgrade the stereo system on this JK to be somewhat close to what I am trading in (If only I could upgrade the 0-60 time on the JK to match my TJ too!)

I don't want to replace the head-unit, however, as it's Sirius equipped! What is the most cost-effective way to bolster this 6-speaker system while still keeping the stock Sirius headunit? I don't have a lot of extra cash at the moment. Options I'm considering-

Swapping out all 6 speakers and adding an amp to power them (this should circumvent the limited power that the head unit currently supplies to the soundbar, right?)
OR
Swapping only the front speakers, ignoring the sound-bar completely, and adding a powered subwoofer (such as the Kenwood KSC-SW1) under the front seat.

Are there better options I'm not thinking of? Are there technical flaws in what I'm considering? I could really use some help on this! I have a limited budget, and I'd probably need a professional install on whatever I get done. How can I get the most bang for my buck?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basslink is always an option i have pics and such however it took me a little while to tune it out, and now i never want to leave my jeep let alone turn the music down i cannot complain one bit... except for who installed it took 2.5 hours
Old 03-09-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally think the factory infinity upgrade is pretty good......and i like music loud. turn it up to around 28-30 and you're jammin pretty hard.

back in the 90's, when i was 20-ish, i filled my 1995 YJ full of amps & stuff that would make your ears bleed.......but i think that's out of style now.......maybe it has something to do with me being 33, but i consider myself a VERY young 33.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope it's still in style

Quick Reply: Making my JK sound like my TJ did?