Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mini van ECU?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mini van ECU?

So I was looking at the caravan 3.8l numbers. It looks like the van ecu adds about 70 hp and 20 ft/lbs of torque. Any thoughts on if or how that ecu could be swapped in to a JK manual?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's crazy interesting, what about an automatic? Anyone tried this or not even feasible?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Are you sure that the loss in "to wheel" HP and torque isn't from our 4wd system? There seems to be s lot of threads and videos that suggest that. Just wanted to throw that out there as a thought.

Let us know what your own testing turns up.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

I'm interested and subscribed.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheCodeMonk
Are you sure that the loss in "to wheel" HP and torque isn't from our 4wd system? There seems to be s lot of threads and videos that suggest that. Just wanted to throw that out there as a thought.

Let us know what your own testing turns up.

That's what i'm thinking. Are those numbers from a front wheel drive van?

Interesting none the less.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's quoting factory numbers they generally use HP and torque numbers from the crank, which would eliminate the drivetrain losses you speak of.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_3.3_engine

IF the caravan or 3.8 town and country's, do have more power then the jk, i doubt its strictly from the pcm. keep dreaming guys, there's few solution's to the pathetic power out put of the jk. the new 4L found in the T and C is rated for 250ish HP and 260 ft lbs, and the 3.6 pentstar in the Caravan is rated for 283hp, hope your not confused!

Last edited by XJ Jay; 03-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zeppo
If he's quoting factory numbers they generally use HP and torque numbers from the crank, which would eliminate the drivetrain losses you speak of.
I'm guessing that molar uses the same measuring techniques for all their cars, meaning any test method would yield consistent results. The only difference I see would see is the two drive systems but the van also comes in an AWD configuration which has the same numbers.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Who has a minivan that they are willing to sacrifice? Will our mileages get transferred over or no? Are our superchips and other tuners gonna still work? Someone has to do this, and add the viper throttle body........ anybody????
Open your mind! I can get it from my local wrecking yard or even online for less.

Never thought about a programmer on top of an ecu change.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by XJ Jay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_3.3_engine

IF the caravan or 3.8 town and country's, do have more power then the jk, i doubt its strictly from the pcm. keep dreaming guys, there's few solution's to the pathetic power out put of the jk. the new 4L found in the T and C is rated for 250ish HP and 260 ft lbs, and the 3.6 pentstar in the Caravan is rated for 283hp, hope your not confused!
This gets back to the same question. Walk into dealer right now and the pentastar motor in the grand is 290 hp. Why 250 in the JK when the ecu in the grand is already putting out 290? If so I'd swap my JKU to a grand motor and ecu to get the 290 rather than buying a new JK. I. Hope they bolt up to. My six speed.

Quick Reply: Mini van ECU?