Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mini van ECU?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the ecu same part number? if so all we need is something to flash the ecu to get the new aka higher stock tune.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

I used to program GM ECU's (called ECM's back then) for my GM-EFI-retrofitted CJ7 with an AMC 360 in the front. I used a piece of software called TunerPro RT and an interface called an AutoPROM. I looked at their pages recently and saw a LOT of new functionality and compatible vehicles added, but I didn't see even a mention of a Mopar vehicle on their sites. I haven't asked them about maybe adding our ECU's to the list, but I bet if there was enough interest they would give it a go.
Tuning those things was a breeze, You simply tuned your AFR and EST until your BLM table showed values of 128 across the board...or as close as you could get to 128. Adding things like wide-band oxygen sensors and upgraded ignition systems helps a lot too. Hell, if you are gonna void your engine warranty with this sort of mod, you may as well go ahead and do it right.
Oh yeah...people used to look at me real funny when I was driving down the roads of Corpus Christi with a laptop hooked up to a 1980's model CJ7 and all sorts of wires hooked up to it.

Last edited by jeepguy553; 03-25-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way it will work. The ecm looks for alot of input from the bcm and CanBus system. Things like us having 4x4 and a gc having a power liftgate or different brake bias for our bas and esp system will surely go into a tailspin trying to figure out throttle control and abs. Forget about pcm input.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you tim for reinforcing the fact that this is damn near out of reach for all but ChryCo engineers. I'm lead to beleave that there is more then just a different ECM to credit for the power difference. Perhaps the 290hp 3.6 uses premium gas and has higher compression among other engine internals to net more power. IF the lose of power is purely caused by engine tuning on an other wise identical engine, you can bet superchips will be all over it to get consumers that power back. BUT back to the lame 3.8 in our JKs, I still don't see any other push rod 3.8s on ChryCos line up that offers a significant power increase.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
There is no way it will work. The ecm looks for alot of input from the bcm and CanBus system. Things like us having 4x4 and a gc having a power liftgate or different brake bias for our bas and esp system will surely go into a tailspin trying to figure out throttle control and abs. Forget about pcm input.
I don't think anything that drastic would happen my ecm functions just fine with no input from the accleoremeter. So no ABS/ESP/BAS and it still works.

Last edited by rexicon; 03-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ECU's can't be simply swapped out.

Lets say for arguments sake we could switch out the one for the 3.8 minivan. The hp and tq curve along the entire rpm band would not even be ideal for a wrangler.

Your better off just getting Superchips or a programmer of some sort if you want to change ECU parameters.

Quick Reply: Mini van ECU?