Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

modern headlights upgrade

Old 01-31-2024, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modern headlights upgrade

Hi,

New here, I am looking to change my headlights in my JKU to something more modern like shown below, I see some on amazon for like 80 bucks or so but was wondering how easy a swap like this is, is it DIY friendly? And do I have to disconnect battery? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2024, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no experience with those, just remember you will need to adjust them after installing so the cutoff is at the right angle. I'm amazed at how low cost those appear to be and list DOT approved and appear to have decent heatsink, I'm use to the model specific lights and forget about these more universal round lights based on halogen bulbs that have been used for over 40 years. Bunch of mixed reviews, the 1 stars look bad though. Reading more reviews I would likely not get them. Listing says plug and play, but several reviews state you have to modify the light or the housing for them to seats correctly, not what I call plug and play.

As far as installing them, if the listing I found on Amazon is right, you should not need to disconnect the battery. Just follow the OE directions for replacing a headlight assembly (I think that requires popping the grill off, easy as it's just a 5 or 6 push pins holding it on), while adding the included adapter between the bulb and the chassis harness.

Last edited by ControlNode; 02-01-2024 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. Yeah I saw a JK with one of those newer bulbs and had to look twice for a second cause I thought i was looking at a JL! amazing what a difference it made in looking newer.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was reading more of those reviews, and I updated my last post. I would not get them. Too many post mention having to modify the light or the housing on the Jeep for them to seat correctly in the housing, that is not what I would call plug and play as the listing states.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Yea fair, That was just an example I guess i didn't research the product really yet. But thanks for the heads up I dont mind spending more for better quality

Quick Reply: modern headlights upgrade