Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

multiple accessories to a single switched 12v source?

Old 09-07-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default multiple accessories to a single switched 12v source?

like a lot of people here i tap into the Heated Seat fuse slot for accessories--what would i use to tie 5 accessories into that single switched source?

i don't want to go the SPOD route. i already have switches from 12v guy. would i use a busbar (?).

i THINK it's a 20amp fuse in the heated seat slot. the only power i'm pulling is for the relay, right? how do i figure out what the load is for all 5 of those accessories? whats the draw of a relay?

i remember something called "painless" that may do something like this?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as you're using the fuse tap for the relay control circuit, you will be fine as they run on milliamps. Just daisy chain the switches together in the tub. You don't need to run separate feeds to the TIPM. If however, you are controlling the load circuit with the fuse tap you need to make sure you don't exceed 20 amps or the rating of the load tap itself, whichever is lower. And of course always size your components (wire, switches, relays, fuse holders) accordingly.

What gauge wire did you run to the first switch from the fuse tap?

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-07-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

The load circuit will be tied to the battery. I found the cirkit boss (that's what I was trying to remember). It connects to the switched 12v and then has a terminal block that accessories can run to. I think that'll work..right?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

You could use a bus bar but it really isn't needed. You just pigtail the connections...

That is showing relays but it's the same for switches. If you do use a bus bar, make sure you protect it to prevent accidental shorting as they tend to be exposed more. I rigged up a homemade junction block in my sPod for switched power here.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-09-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

I just got around to wiring this up today..

I have the switched wire that runs from the fuse box running daisy chained thru the bottom post of all 5 switches. The actual accessory will be on the middle post which will go right to the battery.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Not sure what switches you have but you're okay running the switched feed for the relay control circuits daisy chained. I allow 3 switches per 1 amp of draw...so for 3 switches 1 amp and 6 switches 2 amps etc.. The accessory on the middle post (based on your comment as I don't know what switches you have) should be the feed to the relay control circuit...one per switch and relay. The power for the accessory itself should be coming fused from the battery through pin 30 and out pin 87 for each accessory.

Quick Reply: multiple accessories to a single switched 12v source?