Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig = Junk

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGig = Junk

FYI to those considering a MyGig purchase. I bought my Jeep last June, so it's just 7 months old. I'm already on my 3rd MyGig system and I'm not optimistic that this one will last long either.

The 1st system ate a CD after 2 months of ownership. It wouldn't give back the CD and made strange grinding sounds when trying to eject. The screen would lock in the out position and the Navigation stopped working. It took the dealership 2 weeks to get me a replacement.

The 2nd unit lasted 4 months before it started making lots of bad hard drive sounds. Grinding, wirring, and clicking, etc... The Unit would lock up solid after being on for 5 minutes. I was unable to adjust the volume or even turn it off. The screen would stay on even after I turned off the car and opened the door. If I went on a longer drive, eventually the system would reboot and then be turn offable for a minute or two before locking up again. During this time the Nav completely stopped working also. The stealership gave me a complete runaround on this system as they didn't want to have to replace another unit. They told me they had an update that would fix it and made me bring the vehicle in several times. finally they conceded that it had a bad hard drive and was broken.

So far, I feel like I spent $1595 on a piece of junk nav unit and wish I could have my money back to buy a better system.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Love mine, never a problem, soooooooooooooo glad I got it.

(for the sake of being fair and balanced)
Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you just got a bad setup. I have had my MyGig for about 10 months now and still on the first one. Some minor issues but nothing that a big deal.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've never had a single issue with my MyGig unit...I love it.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem with my MyGig has been the Nav antenia loosing satelates and taking for ever finding them.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

Dude... sorry to hear about the bad luck with the Mygig. At least they are replacing it. I LOVE mine!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry to hear about the troubles! I've had mine for about 8 months and love it ... especially after unlocking all of its features.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry to hear about your troubles... I love my Garmin 7200!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

LOL on the Garmin

I'm glad to hear that others have had a good experience. I'll do my best to be optimistic and hopefully third times the charm! FWIW, I like the looks and functionality of the MyGig when it's working correctly.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a case of bad luck. I hav had mine for a year and love it. Have had no problems at all. Hope you have better luck with the third try.

Quick Reply: MyGig = Junk