Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGIG DVD Playback in Drive

Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGIG DVD Playback in Drive

The question of the day is "How can I play DVDs on a MyGIG unit while driving without having to purchase additional expensive components (ex: lockpick)?"

I did a search on this (and other) forums and found similar posts...you can't. Hopefully some genius has figured this out by now. So, how about it? Is there a cheap and easy override to allow DVD playback while the vehicle is in motion? My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has a MyGIG with Nav.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Unfortunatly there is NOT. Until somebody finds a way to alter the computer on the JK then it won't happen. I have been searching and searching myself since I got my jeep. But unless you buy the lockpick which seems to be the way then I don't know of any other way to do it. Give it time though I am sure somebody some day will figure it out
Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

But I want my DVDs now! I read on a 300 website that someone was working on a software hack but so far no luck. The Lockpick seems pretty cool and has a lot of features but sure seems expensive for the little use I'd give it.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been keeping my eye open for a hard drive from a busted mygig. I work in the technology department at my local branch of A&M part time and there are some really smart people around me. So I was thinking since the mygig uses a form of Linux called qnx it may be hackable. There is a guy on those 300 forums who claimed a hack using software only, but he didn't offer anything to back it up. I don't know if the instructions to cancel playback are on the hard drive or cooked into the firmware? It would take someone a lot sharper than me to figure it out.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
It would take someone a lot sharper than me to figure it out.
Same here.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

I do this in my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan with the MyGig system and it works GREAT!!! It should be the exact same software in the Jeep...let me know if it works for you.

All you have to do is simply start playing the DVD while in park. Before you shift into gear push the audio button on the side leave this menu up shift into gear and then press audio again...You should now be in gear and watching the movie that is playing in the DVD.

You can watch videos going down the road all day long!!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marine
I do this in my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan with the MyGig system and it works GREAT!!! It should be the exact same software in the Jeep...let me know if it works for you.

All you have to do is simply start playing the DVD while in park. Before you shift into gear push the audio button on the side leave this menu up shift into gear and then press audio again...You should now be in gear and watching the movie that is playing in the DVD.

I believe that only works on the non nav units, and I KNOW it only works on the older software versions.
So if you upgrade the software, it won't work anymore.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Marine

I have done this myself in my '08 jk mygig w/ nav and IT DOES NOT WORK!!!! I was really hoping that it will. I didn't go back down to the software version that someone got it to work in but if you want to you could. I am just saving my pennies for the Lockpick. But if someone figures it out please let us know
Andrew
Old 08-29-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

I tried this in the wife's Grand Cherokee w/ nav and it didn't work. Who does Chrysler think they are keep us safe from ourselves?

Quick Reply: MyGIG DVD Playback in Drive