Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig Gracenotes Update v4620 US/Canada/Mexico

Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you activate U-Connect in Engineering Mode?

Can anybody please confirm if the latest software can activate U-Connect in Engineering Mode (hold down Seek Up/Down and Menu button to get into Engineering Mode)?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was near Knotts berry farm today and needed a Wal-mart for stadium seats---high school game tomorrow night-- any I searched for a Wal- mart and the closest one it gave me was 28 miles away in chino. number two on the list was like 2843 miles away in Washington, D.C. ...WTF! This often happens when I search by name. Any suggestions...don't want to upgrade for 200 bucks so my nav is the original in my 2007.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zinfman
I was near Knotts berry farm today and needed a Wal-mart for stadium seats---high school game tomorrow night-- any I searched for a Wal- mart and the closest one it gave me was 28 miles away in chino. number two on the list was like 2843 miles away in Washington, D.C. ...WTF! This often happens when I search by name. Any suggestions...don't want to upgrade for 200 bucks so my nav is the original in my 2007.
Did you set your home city in the Mygig? Also when performing a search always search within a city.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by miliu
Can anybody please confirm if the latest software can activate U-Connect in Engineering Mode (hold down Seek Up/Down and Menu button to get into Engineering Mode)?
Yes, but it will only allow the activation when the mic is plugged in.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Hvacwelder
So I made a slight mistake on the first download, corrected that, and everything went fine. In case it helps anyone, I used the Express Burn software I pictured, and I used a Memorex DVD+R DL disc @ 4X on a DVD RW drive from HP.
After doing some reading on many other threads I learned why Jeep no longer offers updates, so many Thanks to the OP.
Your Welcome! Good news is most of the issues have been resolved with the last OS update. ( Keep in mind this is the Gracenotes update and not the OS update) They will continue to provide Map Updates though the Navteq site. (Usually the map updates are shipped with included OS updates)

Last edited by whpony96; 09-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96

Did you set your home city in the Mygig? Also when performing a search always search within a city.
Can you set home city or just home state?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zinfman
Can you set home city or just home state?
Home State....but when you search always select "Search Within a City"
Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
Home State....but when you search always select "Search Within a City"
Thank you! The wont be updating the navi for the RER systems will they?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Default REN Questions

Hi, I'm new here and I come in peace seeking help. This looks like a great online community with lots of helpful support. I hope it's okay I come here even though I don't have a Jeep, but this seems to be the only place that may have answers I need to prevent bricking the MyGig system in my vehicle. I have a Chrysler-built vehicle badged as a VW (Routan), and consequently it is a redheaded stepchild that nobody will acknowledge exists. MyGig treats VW as an after-thought and only supports some of the systems when they remember VW, but not other MyGig systems in Routans. VW dealership doesn't even know how to update the MyGig (says there is no update), and no Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealership will touch it being VW badged.

Here's my issue. I have a 2009 MY Volkswagen built by Chryco that has the REN system (no navi) with Uconnect, Sirius, and backup camera. It is running software application 9.214 and gracenotes 881. Seems to be from original factory install from 2008-09 time-frame. The system is very buggy, especially with the HDD. Sometimes the HDD is not recognized at all. Sometimes the HDD is there and works fine. Other times after using HDD and switch back to radio or DVD/CD the system will just randomly shut off completely and come back on and reboot (repeating every 3-5 minutes) for no apparent reason. Other times after using HDD, the system seems to lose its memory function altogether and no longer remembers what radio channel was last used or where CD/DVD left off, so whenever you go back to that function (or restart the vehicle) it starts over on discs from the beginning or goes to first channel preset. This can go on for days/weeks before it seems to reset itself and begin working fine again. I'm mostly afraid that corrupted HDD will turn to brick if I keep using it w/o updating the SW.

From what I can gather here and elsewhere, it seems REN largely uses same SW as the RER systems that have navi, except of course without the map updates. From what I see, I need to update GN to v. 4620 which is clearly marked for both RER and REN systems. Just D/L'ed that but will install later after getting SW updated properly.

Where I'm lost is on SW update. I can't really find anywhere what the latest REN SW is supposed to be. Based on RER, my understanding is anything 9.xxx is very old needs to be updated to the last 9.713 and then updated again into the 1.xx or 2.xx software to save the HDD corruption issue. Looks like 2.402 is the holy grail, although I can find 2.404 online but that seems to be limited for certain specific models of Chrysler-built vehicles. But that is RER. The latest version SW I can find labeled for REN is v9.292, which would still be in the 'very old' category and not much more current than the original 2008-09 SW updates.

So what do I need to do? Update to 9.292, and then update GN to 4602 and call it a day? Or do I need to go with the RER 9.713 and then update again to RER 2.402, and then update GN to 4602? Or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. About to undertake a 36-hour (roundtrip) road -trip in a couple weeks with the 3- and 4-year old kids and wife, and I got to get this fixed before then to maintain sanity. Many thanks in advance for any advice or re-direction that might have the answers.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

9.292 is the only update you can do, the RER software will not work on your RER. I would update it to 9.292 and call it a day, as well as updating your Gracenotes to whatever the latest is. Gracenotes is the same for RER and REN so you can use the latest you can find.

Quick Reply: MyGig Gracenotes Update v4620 US/Canada/Mexico