JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   MyGIG Hard Drive Upgrade - General Info (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/mygig-hard-drive-upgrade-general-info-35169/)

dr.amon 01-06-2013 09:00 AM

Hi,
Can I try to clone the MyGig's hdd on a desktopm pc that have ATA hdd ?

Macman1138 01-06-2013 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by matt101 (Post 421226)
The MyGIG is an embedded car computer created by Harman Becker Automotive (HB) out of Farmington Hills, MI (USA). It runs the QNX Operating System using the SH-4A RISC processor. This means it cannot run Miscrosoft or Apple Software.
However, it is an operating system running the MyGIG Multimedia/Navigation software designed by Harman Becker. As someone indicated earlier, unless HB releases the source code, it will be a difficult, if not impossible task for someone else to add / remove features for MyGiG.
HB will not give you any info about the MyGIG, but they will mail you an update CD to address the latest bug fixes - just email the address below and ask.
MAP Updates are a different story and will only come form local dealerships. Yes, this means updated maps cost $$$!

That being said, I used a Linux Live CD [Clonezilla-SysRescCD v2.4] to look at the hard drive's partition structure.

[Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to line up the columns]
Partition Size Start End ID Format Purpose (my best guess)
1. 9.2 GB 63 19454714 0x4d QNX4.x Main Software
2. 305.9 MB 19454715 20081249 0x4e QNX4.x 2nd part ?? (Maybe Swap File or TMP Storage)
3. 101.9 MB 20081250 20290094 0x4f QNX4.x 3rd part ?? (Maybe Swap File or TMP Storage)
4. 18.3 GB 20290095 58701509 0x50 OnTrack DM Storage area for personal files

It looks like Partition #4 is the place which holds all pics and music.
As far as I can tell, not all of the 18.3 belongs to you. Some of the space belongs to MyGIG.

Here is the good part:
Requirements:
A> Windows XP/Vista Laptop
1. You must be able to remove the HD
2. It must be able to use ATA standard 2.5" hard drives
3. It must be able to run the Linux Live CD
B> MyGIG Original HD (obviously removed from the MyGIG) [mine was 30GB]
C> New, Larger 2.5" MyGIG HD [mine was 40GB]
D> USB 2.5" adapter cable to connect Original MyGIG HD to laptop using a USB Port
E> Download and burn a copy of the Linux Live CD
Clonezilla-SysRescCD Linux Live CD

Notes:
A. I used a new, never installed MyGIG RER 30GB model.
B. My new, larger hard drive is not designed for automotive applications. It's a regular 40GB laptop 2.5" ATA hard drive.
C. Neither Lock Pick nor NAV TV products were used in this test.
D. Your MyGiG drive should never "touch" a "Live" Windows or Apple computer. It's not Windows or Apple once you have booted with the Linux Live CD - It's transformed into Linux
E. Always remove the vehicle's radio fuse before pulling/installing the MyGIG head unit.

General Steps:
1. Removed the Original MyGIG hard drive and clone it using Clonezilla-SysRescCD onto a New, larger 2.5" laptop HD.
a. Remove Laptop's Windows XP/Vista HD - set aside
b. Attach MyGiG HD to laptop with USB cable.
c. Install New MyGIG HD into laptop. (all data will be erased)
d. Boot with Clonezilla-SysRescCD.
Perform Partition Tasks:
2. Clone Old HD to New HD taking into consideration partition / sector layout:
a. Boot into Clonezilla and copy HD to HD via partition structure, Shutdown Laptop
b. Disconnect Original MyGIG HD to avoid mistakes - set aside
3. Delete Partition#4 from cloned HD: [I could not figure out how to expand partition #4 to take up the extra space, so I deleted it]
a. Boot Linux CD into 32bit System Rescue Graphical, run GParted and Delete Cloned Partition#4
b. While in System Rescue Graphical, Create a New Linux EXT3 Partition#4 using all of the available free space at the end of the HD, Reboot back to Main Menu
4. Go to Tools Menu and select DOS Part software, change the partition ID from "linux ext3" to "0x50 OnTrack DM".(enter 50 manually)
5. Shutdown Laptop and remove New MyGiG Drive.
6. Finally, install the New, larger HD into the MyGIG.
7. Store the Original MyGIG HD in a safe place.
8. Pull Radio Fuse.
9. Install MyGIG into you vehicle (Mine is a 2008 Rubicon)
10. Install Radio Fuse.
11. Reinstall Windows HD back into laptop

The new size of My Personal Space is 24.68 GB!
Capacity: 26.638 GB
Used: 1.958 GB
Available: 24.680 GB

I have not uploaded any pics or mp3's but 1.958 GB's are already taken by the MyGIG - Hmmm??

I never installed the 30GB MyGIG, so I'm not sure how much Personal Space is on an empty 30GB model.

Obviously, this method requires someone to reinstall/upload all pics and mp3's again.

These steps should work with any 2.5" ATA hard drive, but I'm not sure if the MyGIG QNX [hardware / software] has any partition size limits.

Warning: I need to do more testing to ensure my upgrade properly uploads and plays pics and music. Also need to test if the larger hard drive will interfer with Chrysler software updades.

Until next time, tinker at your own RISK!

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for such a small payoff. But I must hand it to you though, you did a fine job!

dr.amon 01-24-2013 05:42 AM

clone of MyGig's hdd?

Hi,
I will try to clone mygig's hdd,but I didn't understand "....Go to Tools Menu and select DOS Part software, change the partition ID from "linux ext3" to "0x50 OnTrack DM".(enter 50 manually)...",
How can I make this?,
Thanks.

SupesFan 01-26-2013 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dr.amon (Post 3396301)
Hi,
I will try to clone mygig's hdd,but I didn't understand "....Go to Tools Menu and select DOS Part software, change the partition ID from "linux ext3" to "0x50 OnTrack DM".(enter 50 manually)...",
How can I make this?,
Thanks.

I tried to follow the instructions and got stucked on that part too. I found another post that suggested using a QNX Lite CD to format the new partition, but I did not find the CD. I ended up Using G4N to clone the HD, and QNX (installed on a Virtual machine) to change the partition size and reformat it. It seems like a lot, but it does not take more than 20 minutes, other than waiting for the HDs to be clonned. I cloned my original HD to a USB thumb drive of 32GB and from the USB to the new HDD (I did not have two IDE-USB adapters). It would be faster if you had two adapters so you save a step.
1) Clone Original HD to USB TD using copydisk (takes a long time)
2) clone USB TD to new HD (takes a long time)
3) Install VMware, download QNX for VMWare, add USB controller
4) change partition
5) format partition
I attached the detailed instructions with current links as of yesterday in case you are interested on going this way. I just did it a couple of hours ago, and now think I should try an SSD.

dr.amon 01-27-2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by SupesFan (Post 3399816)
I tried to follow the instructions and got stucked on that part too. I found another post that suggested using a QNX Lite CD to format the new partition, but I did not find the CD. I ended up Using G4N to clone the HD, and QNX (installed on a Virtual machine) to change the partition size and reformat it. It seems like a lot, but it does not take more than 20 minutes, other than waiting for the HDs to be clonned. I cloned my original HD to a USB thumb drive of 32GB and from the USB to the new HDD (I did not have two IDE-USB adapters). It would be faster if you had two adapters so you save a step.
1) Clone Original HD to USB TD using copydisk (takes a long time)
2) clone USB TD to new HD (takes a long time)
3) Install VMware, download QNX for VMWare, add USB controller
4) change partition
5) format partition
I attached the detailed instructions with current links as of yesterday in case you are interested on going this way. I just did it a couple of hours ago, and now think I should try an SSD.

Hi,I did instructions and copied my hdd to 80ggb a new hdd,but I couldn't expand the partition 4.I see only my pc's OS disk if I write command "mount" on the VMplayer.I use thermaltake USB enclosure.I read qnx to support vantec usb enclosure and do I have to use vantec usb enclosure or is there any other way to expand partition 4?
Thanks.

dr.amon 02-14-2013 11:32 PM

Hi guys,
I cloned my gig's hdd,but fail to expand the partition 4.Is there someone help me?

aplmak 02-26-2013 11:56 AM

I think I am going to clone my 16 mygig RER to a 128GB PATA IDE 2.5 SSD drive... A SSD should be faster and less vulnerable to impact from driving my 2010 Chrysler 300.. Anyone else try this yet?? I am going to use ACRONIS which is linux based I believe and boot from it so the drive will never touch windows and possible corrupt it..

dr.amon 03-28-2013 09:39 AM

Hi,
I copied mygig's hdd,but could't expand it.I tired these instructions,but failed.I nned help,
Thanks.

chiefwilnel 04-13-2013 05:48 AM

I'm hoping to get more info on this. I think I had the harddrive corruption. because soon after I lost my music on Mygig my battery went out. Now I have a Mac Book Pro, so I used vm's to do the steps, no cds involved :p the reason I think it was harddrive corruption is because I do see the music files in qnx briefly. you can convert the 4th partition with the qnx live cd. the problem I am getting is something about unable to write to block when I change the part tables and fs types. I have done hardware test on both drives and have no issues. So, i was successful in cloning just have not be able to do anything with the last partition. I think part of the problem is I am using USB3. When I was trying to flash firmware to a motorola phone it never would work, so I used a buddie's older computer and worked off the bat. I think i will try doing this on an older computer. Mofv site is down again. there is a user that that will clone your drives, one thing I was wondering if someone got a drive that had 2012 maps would they work if cloned to your drive?

chiefwilnel 04-14-2013 12:38 PM

I well I confirmed that it isnt usb3/usb2 that matters, same issue. Its possible my usb adapter wonky. I have ordered a new adapter and 64gb ssd. I will record the process and upload it.