Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MYGIG RBZ w/ Infinity Bypass: is a Dealer Flash Required??

Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MYGIG RBZ w/ Infinity Bypass: is a Dealer Flash Required??

I installed new speakers and Alpine 5 channel amp. After disconnecting battery prior to installing everything and reconnecting after completion, I first had to enter security code, then everything worked great, vol/fade/balance control, etc. As soon as I started the Jeep, the Mygig switched to fixed 2-channel output and only rear speakers worked, no more vol/fade,balance control.

I have all four speaker outputs wired to amp's speaker level inputs, canbus, and 12V power connected to radio using a Metra harness adapter. I should be able to run as a non-infinity setup. Just wondering if a starscan dealer flash would fix this problem? If I disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes everything resets to variable 4-channel output, until the Jeep is started, then same problem! So how do non-Infinity owners avoid this with a standard 6-speaker setup? I have heard people have switched to MYGIGs without issues.

Last edited by vulcan classic; 09-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Bump, anyone?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Hi Vulcan,

Just checking, but you did disconnect the connectors from the OEM Infinity amp like we previously discussed right?

I think we verified in our last discussion that the Infinity amp can bus wire connections were probably some how connected to the ECM. So unplugging that connector from the amp which has the amp's Can bus and Amp power connections should stop the amp from communicating on the Can bus, so the system no longer thinks that an amp is connected in the vehicle.

If you did that, then maybe a star scan is needed since it would seem that the ECM or possibly even the radio is some how storing the can bus messaging that the Infinity amp was connected in the system previously. I doubt it's the radio that's storing that information though, because as you described the radio comes up in variable output mode initially until you start the vehicle. Which seems to indicate the ECM is sending that information to the radio at that time and causing it then to switch to fixed mode operation.

Like I mentioned previously. I don't know exactly what the Metra Cable does, in regards to wire jumpers. So there could be something I'm missing there also.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-12-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Hi Vulcan,

Just checking, but you did disconnect the connectors from the OEM Infinity amp like we previously discussed right?

I think we verified in our last discussion that the Infinity amp can bus wire connections were probably some how connected to the ECM. So unplugging that connector from the amp which has the amp's Can bus and Amp power connections should stop the amp from communicating on the Can bus, so the system no longer thinks that an amp is connected in the vehicle.

If you did that, then maybe a star scan is needed since it would seem that the ECM or possibly even the radio is some how storing the can bus messaging that the Infinity amp was connected in the system previously. I doubt it's the radio that's storing that information though, because as you described the radio comes up in variable output mode initially until you start the vehicle. Which seems to indicate the ECM is sending that information to the radio at that time and causing it then to switch to fixed mode operation.

Like I mentioned previously. I don't know exactly what the Metra Cable does, in regards to wire jumpers. So there could be something I'm missing there also.
Yes I have the amp disconnected, both the input/power 22-pin connector and the 16-pin speaker connector, so it appears the ECM is sending messages to the radio directly; I tried pulling the radio fuse, starting the Jeep, then replacing the fuse but still ends up in fixed 2-channel mode.
I called local dealership and they were clueless, said the RBZ is not compatible in Wrangler, even though I explained it works fine with the Infinity amp in place.

Update:

I'm gonna ditch the Mygig,I've got too much time and money invested with other upgrades, so I'm going with a JVC head unit, for a little more money I can get more features, better SQ, etc. I was able to sell my Mygig radio to a co-worker with a mountain edition 2010 Unlimited and he was thrilled that it was a plug n play for his Infinity system so I broke even on it!

Last edited by vulcan classic; 09-14-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: MYGIG RBZ w/ Infinity Bypass: is a Dealer Flash Required??