Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mygig replaced with reman unit

Old 11-10-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twaldron
I've got a problem with it. Would you pay $30k for a nice new '09 Rubi JK, then upon delivery accept a reconditioned early '07 with 30k miles on it that had a full warranty?
Very different scenario.
Most electronics get "reman" when you get them replaced under warranty.
What's the difference?
(I agree with the issue if it has a scratch on it)

But lots of the earlier units were returned for a bad HD, replace the HD, perfectly fine unit. So should they have to throw those away? Not repair them and resend them out to replace other units?

As long as the reman unit looks good/new why worry?
It's not the same as taking a vehicle that's worth less money.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should sell the re-manufactured units to those of us who may want them on down the line, at a substantial discount. I've bought a lot of re-manufactured electronics in my time, but none of it for face value.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Haha! Well, they've got you brainwashed, so they're doing their job. If you want tp pay new retail for used stuff, who am I to deny you? I'll be the guy next to you at the stoplight with the new unit.

PM me if you want to buy some of my old stereos at new retail. I'll even recondition them for ya!

Originally Posted by hscrugby
Very different scenario.
Most electronics get "reman" when you get them replaced under warranty.
What's the difference?
(I agree with the issue if it has a scratch on it)

But lots of the earlier units were returned for a bad HD, replace the HD, perfectly fine unit. So should they have to throw those away? Not repair them and resend them out to replace other units?

As long as the reman unit looks good/new why worry?
It's not the same as taking a vehicle that's worth less money.

Last edited by twaldron; 11-10-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SDJK
Update-got a call from the service manager this am,said they are ordering a new Mygig. We will see what happens.
Update-It's in the shop right now for NEW Mygig and for clutch noise,they have not said another word about not fixing my clutch noise because my Jeep was modified-I think they realized they were in for a fight.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

i am willing to bet your "new" mygig is a reman as well. I am a parts manager for a dealership. the price of a new nav unit for our cars is almost $2k. A reman is $800. ALot of parts that are remans can only be purchased as a reman unit. A Lot of car mfgs will not sell brand new units.
water pumps, altenators, nav units, PS pumps, MAF's, radios....all remans...all core items. ALl reman units carry full warrenty just like a new part. When your warrenty is up, you can purchase a brand new mygig on your own dime but i bet its a couple grand if you can even get one!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by voodoojk
i am willing to bet your "new" mygig is a reman as well. I am a parts manager for a dealership. the price of a new nav unit for our cars is almost $2k. A reman is $800. ALot of parts that are remans can only be purchased as a reman unit. A Lot of car mfgs will not sell brand new units.
water pumps, altenators, nav units, PS pumps, MAF's, radios....all remans...all core items. ALl reman units carry full warrenty just like a new part. When your warrenty is up, you can purchase a brand new mygig on your own dime but i bet its a couple grand if you can even get one!
I think you hit the nail on the head.
And I think the dealer will make sure there are no scratches on this radio before they install it. That being said, I'd bet the scratch came at the dealer, as they were installing it.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by voodoojk
I have made 4 trips to the dealer trying to get this Mygig fixed,after they installed the reman scratched one and also scratched my top dash cover I called and had a long talk with the service manager. At first I was ok with a reman unit,but after that experience I changed my mind. The service manager agreed that I should not be getting a reman replacement- I told him if thats what they do they can refund me the price diff-I did not purchase a reman unit. You can get bet my NEW Mygig will be a reman also but I will be making sure it isn't-I have already told them I don't have a problem taking them to court-any person in their right mind will agree you should not get an $800 replacement for a $2k Mygig
Old 11-11-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SDJK
I have made 4 trips to the dealer trying to get this Mygig fixed,after they installed the reman scratched one and also scratched my top dash cover I called and had a long talk with the service manager. At first I was ok with a reman unit,but after that experience I changed my mind. The service manager agreed that I should not be getting a reman replacement- I told him if thats what they do they can refund me the price diff-I did not purchase a reman unit. You can get bet my NEW Mygig will be a reman also but I will be making sure it isn't-I have already told them I don't have a problem taking them to court-any person in their right mind will agree you should not get an $800 replacement for a $2k Mygig
You aren't.
You are getting warranty work. Have a good time in court over this one. Read the fine print on your warranty. My opinion, is you should get a working unit, that is not damaged. The scratch would be unacceptable, yes. But a reman'd unit versus new? As long as it works, and isn't damaged I'd have no qualms getting my unit repaired with a reman.

(That being said, it would cost about the same for them to pay for the 1200$ as it would to get lawyers, unless they counter sued for legal damages. So they probably would just put in a new one.)
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hscrugby
You aren't.
You are getting warranty work. Have a good time in court over this one. Read the fine print on your warranty. My opinion, is you should get a working unit, that is not damaged. The scratch would be unacceptable, yes. But a reman'd unit versus new? As long as it works, and isn't damaged I'd have no qualms getting my unit repaired with a reman.

(That being said, it would cost about the same for them to pay for the 1200$ as it would to get lawyers, unless they counter sued for legal damages. So they probably would just put in a new one.)
I don't agree that a reman unit is as good as a new one-who knows if the problem I had with my Mygig will be fixed or will somebody else end up with that problem-it had an intermittant no audio problem. I don't want a reman Mygig that may or may not be fixed,I have better things to do than keep going to the dealer.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

a reman unit is as good as a brand new unit. you say you dont want a reman in the jeep because it might break again? well the new unit in your jeep broke didnt it? unless the part number is revised or superceeded then its the same thing. if the number changes becasue a part is revised the reman units will have an update. I hand out radios and sat systems all week long that have about 6 or 7 part number revisions.

anyone know who makes the mygig? i know all audi and vw radios are either panasonic or blaupunkt and come right from them directly

Last edited by voodoojk; 11-11-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Mygig replaced with reman unit