Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

mygig software

Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mygig software

what are the pros and cons of using the 8.4 software on a mygig non nav(ren) to enable video in motion and opposed to using a lockpick, allgig.... thanks for any input
Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

To get video in motin on the non nav with the software downgrade you must play the video while in park, then press audio (brings up audio menu) then place the Jeep in gear, then press show video. The video will then work in motion, but if you start messing with buttons to change scenes or something on the DVD, you will loose the video and have to stop and press the audio again...however, you can adjust the volume while m,oving and it will not affect anything

If youdont use it that often (like me) while in motion, it works just fine and is free as compared to $250 or so (??) for the lockpick...

Im not sure what else the lockpick gives you, I think there are some video in connections for a back up camera and it also allows you to use the uconnect and a few other features...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

are there any issues that could come up with downgrading the software? ive heard of possible harddrive corruptions. any thoughts on that?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you downgrade you will more than likely end up with a $1400.00 brick...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

at the very least you need to crack it open and create a backup image of your hard drive before you downgrade, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

The old software isn't that bad.
Heck install it, if you don't like it or it causes problems, just upgrade to the new version.

The non-nav's were a LOT less prone to HD corrupting, as they have a LOT few write cycles.

That being said, I'm the type that likes the newest software, so I wouldn't do it. But I'm also cheap so I wouldn't buy a lock pick either. :(

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Depends what year your radio is. I have a 09 REN MyGig and tried flashing backwards and it would not let me.

Quick Reply: mygig software