Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig Thoughts

Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I had to buy my GPS antenna from the dealer, was about $31 after tax. Luckily a friend is sending me the mic (should be here today) so it costs nothing. Did you get the sat radio for it too? That is all I don't have now. I doubt I will get it unless I start spending more time driving. I am really excited about playing with the VR this weekend.

A grand still beats the $1860 or whatever at the dealer plus all the cables and antennas.

Now if I can just find a Hard drive from a broken one for cheap to do some experimenting with.
I had started a thread before posting here about my issues with Pioneer's AVIC system after a sound shop installed two faulty ones and followed up with installing a faulty Kenwood system as well. After getting them to put the stock stereo back and refunding me for their inability to do their jobs three times in a row, I started looking at the MyGigs.

I don't have Sat radio, no. I just need BT connectivity, a decent navigation system, and MP3 support. Tossed a bunch of music on the HD and I'm really happy with it. The system is nice and simple, much faster than the aftermarket units (Pioneer unit took over a minute to start up, which is ridiculous in this day and age), and the UI is fantastic.

Last edited by Spank; 08-22-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Spank if it makes ya feel any better i paid a grand too and i looked at it exactly as BigBlue stated. I saved about $800 over having the dealer install it. All in all im very happy with it.

BTW: Do you guys hate the way the mygig handles playlists? i would love to see them add m3u support, that would kickass.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an eclipse AVN5435 or whatever the model was in my TJ. I know what you are thinking double-din in a TJ??? Itwas a lot of work. The navigation on it was not near as fast as this one at finding locations and planning routes and stuff. I really like the mygig, and the fact that it is factory makes it less likely for theft. Some menus and other stuff could be better, but I am sure happy with it.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
Spank if it makes ya feel any better i paid a grand too and i looked at it exactly as BigBlue stated. I saved about $800 over having the dealer install it. All in all im very happy with it.

BTW: Do you guys hate the way the mygig handles playlists? i would love to see them add m3u support, that would kickass.
I agree, playlists could be much better. I'm surprised with them sticking HD's in these things that they don't natively support video files.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spank
I agree, playlists could be much better. I'm surprised with them sticking HD's in these things that they don't natively support video files.
Yea, once again.
Lawyers to the rescue.
Remember it's for the "sue you" mentality that the mygig can't play music from a friggin usb key.
So you know chrysler was scared to death of watching video from the hard drive.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Lost and wandering MyGig

Anybody have an issue with your MyGig being very slow to self correct? Mine continually shows me in the middle of neighborhoods or on the wrong street. I am guessing it is because sometimes I start out under a covered parking space with a weak signal. Its driving me crazy.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Mygig navigation in a nutshell, questions for owners

im about this close (a hair) to purchasing a new Rubicon 2 door hardtop with Navigation. Im doing all my homework before i commit.

First of, I had a hardtop tj before, and as far as wranglers, im way sold.

but please giv me more info on the mygig, im getting this rubicon specificaly with a navigation but if its shitty, then i wont.

- theres a way the navigation can be bypassed so that you can watch dvd or use navigation on the fly ??

-hardtop, with the new dual front removable... doesnt leak right?

- any reliability concerns? or any concerns. Also, i would be towing a trailer with lil less than 1900 lbs on occasion.

thanks everyone.

Last edited by jrubicon; 09-26-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: MyGig Thoughts